Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
I agree! Start with the larger, it will be cheaper in the long run, and the equipment cost would be almost the same as it would be for a 20 gallon. So there would be no reason to start a 20 and upgrade later. If you really want to put your guy in a 20 gallon for a few months, yes you can do that, but I think if you do upgrading will just cost you more in the long run. If you really want your guy to be healthy and live it's full live and grow to be a beauty you will want to put him in the best tank you can from the start! It's not only better for the fish, but better for you as well. Because you will be saving money in the long run!
Well, since he's getting the tank for free he could always buy equipment suited for a 30 and run it on the 20 temporarily. Only addition would probably be live rock.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post

I would go with a Fluval heater, one should be fine that's rated for a 50 or higher. Online heaters are cheaper than ones in the store.
As tommarow is black friday petco is selling aqueon heaters for 26$ so im gonna go with that.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarr19 View Post

Well, since he's getting the tank for free he could always buy equipment suited for a 30 and run it on the 20 temporarily. Only addition would probably be live rock.
Exactly what i was planning. Tank will be up and running in a couple weeks. (1-2)
Old 11-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #54

If i got a 40b for him what could i put in with him as a tank mate? Snowflake moray?
Old 11-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
If i got a 40b for him what could i put in with him as a tank mate? Snowflake moray?
If you have a lot of caves and rock work for the eel I think you can pull that off.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:47 AM   #56

Quote:

If you have a lot of caves and rock work for the eel I think you can pull that off.
Alright so i will do that! (in april when i get the new tank.) and how much light do they like? I have so dull old 4 bulb blue actinic lights that i used to use on my 37g
Old 11-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Alright so i will do that! (in april when i get the new tank.) and how much light do they like? I have so dull old 4 bulb blue actinic lights that i used to use on my 37g
Any lights should do on a fowlr, it'll be more dependent on your color preference.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #58

Quote:

Any lights should do on a fowlr, it'll be more dependent on your color preference.
Gonna head of to petco today. Hope i can find some good deals on the filtration and heater.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would not put a 2' eel in a 40 breeder.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I have seen people on a bunch of diff forums keep them in 18s,24, and 20s. What filter would you reccomend?
Seriously fishman? You have been suggested by about 10 people to NOT do this for all valid reasons yet you still seem set on doing it. 20 gallon isn't an acceptable tank for a dwarf lion fish period. What happens in April when your parents still wont allow you to get a bigger tank for it and it has to sit in there for a year or more?

But whatever. It doesn't matter what anyone else says you're gonna do it regardless. Have fun

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com