20g fuzzy dwarf lion tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a spare 20g long and have been looking around for fish and found the fuzzy dwarf lion! I love the looks of these guys and now want one really bad!!! It would be great if you guys could tell me their care requirements and other tips on keeping them. I am going to be useing a simple HOB (aqueon quiet flow if you want the name) for filtration and am hoping to learn more about these guys!

Also could i have a CUC? Or would he eat anything in the tank?

Thanks!

Im thinking of a skunk cleaner also, maybe a pair of clowns? Ive heard they are messy eaters so i will keep up on wc. And what do they eat? Ive heard only live shrimp, would they eat freeze dried krill?

Or maybe a green blue chromis? Wouldnt it be fast enough that the lion cant catch it? Open to stocking suggestions though. Picking up the tank tommarow :D

The lion will for sure eat the shrimp. They are also quite messy and get around 4".. I would just do the lion in the tank, it has a good sized bioload.

The lion will for sure eat the shrimp. They are also quite messy and get around 4".. I would just do the lion in the tank, it has a good sized bioload.

Alright so just the lion, im fine with that as thats what i was thinking anyway. Could get some hermits, and a conch snail? I will be useing seeded media so that cycling wont be to much of a problem.

I would say it depends on tank demensions as fuzzy dwarfs get about 6 to 7 inches. I would definitely not rush the cycle though especially as they have a high bio load so tank will need to be ready to cope with the bioload I would invest in decent filtering if you want to do this too. As for food I would imagine it will be the same as my volitan you will need some live shrimp to get them started then once started I fed mine fish heads from small fish on kebab stick once he started taking that he now eats anything that goes in the tank that he can fit in his mouth. I would try and give it a mix of all sorts of saltwater meats though

You could potentially get away with a Fu Manchu, but it'd be a lot of maintenance and Fu's are difficult fish

I have seen people on a bunch of diff forums keep them in 18s,24, and 20s. What filter would you reccomend?

I would say it depends on tank demensions as fuzzy dwarfs get about 6 to 7 inches. I would definitely not rush the cycle though especially as they have a high bio load so tank will need to be ready to cope with the bioload I would invest in decent filtering if you want to do this too. As for food I would imagine it will be the same as my volitan you will need some live shrimp to get them started then once started I fed mine fish heads from small fish on kebab stick once he started taking that he now eats anything that goes in the tank that he can fit in his mouth. I would try and give it a mix of all sorts of saltwater meats though

Also would this work? Its frozen food but its said that its the best frozen on the east coast (im in NC)

image-2122833068.jpg

image-432237247.jpg

Doesn't mean it works long term though. It would depend on the dimensions of the tank though would a 7 inch fish have room to swim and I would definitely say a good skimmer and live rock. It will be messy to feed it stuff that is not a chunk for it to swallow whole

Doesn't mean it works long term though. It would depend on the dimensions of the tank though would a 7 inch fish have room to swim and I would definitely say a good skimmer and live rock. It will be messy to feed it stuff that is not a chunk for it to swallow whole

Would it eat freeze dried krill? I will have about 10-15lbs of live rock and 10lbs of dry. Demensions are a common 20 long, 30" long, 12" wide, 12" tall. Can i put 2 HOBs on each side instead of a skimmer? Do i need alot of flow in this tank? Will a koralia 420 work?

With those dimensions as long as you can lay out the rock in a way that there is plenty of swimming room and still some hiding places I'd say it would be ok. It will not want high flow in the tank and canisters will be a lot more maintenance and are less effective IMO. Obv with your tank nitrates will not be as much of an issue as in a reef but still will build up algae etc so I would buy skimmer personally

With those dimensions as long as you can lay out the rock in a way that there is plenty of swimming room and still some hiding places I'd say it would be ok. It will not want high flow in the tank and canisters will be a lot more maintenance and are less effective IMO. Obv with your tank nitrates will not be as much of an issue as in a reef but still will build up algae etc so I would buy skimmer personally

Kinda in a money tight situation as i am in the prosses of seting up my 60g cube reef ATM and didnt want this tank to be to much money. I cant afford a skimmer ATM but maybe when i have a little more $$$. Never got the answer, will it eat crustaceans? I wanted some hermit crabs, snails, and some porcelain crabs if possible.

Yes it will eat crustaceans maybe not snails but defo shrimps and crabs. And why not invest your money in your 60 until its set up and save until you can set the new tank up properly?

I think snails and hermits might be ok because of the shell. The crab on the other hand might be a very costly meal.

Also, sorta related, look at this Volitan my LFS had!

Attachments

• image-2024738273.jpg
    image-2024738273.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 95
Yes it will eat crustaceans maybe not snails but defo shrimps and crabs. And why not invest your money in your 60 until its set up and save until you can set the new tank up properly?

The 60s gonna take some time so i thought this would give me something to do lol. So no crabs then. By crabs do you mean hermits aswell? How much water should i change weekly?

Gonna use an aquaclear 30 for filtration after reading reviews. Also gonna stuff it with chaeto to help cut down on the nutrients from the heavy bioload.

Back
Top Bottom