20gal to 60gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

microd0t

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying change tanks and I'm not sure if I can fill 40 gals then add my 20 then stick the filter on or what do I need to do?

Are you using the sand as well? If so then set your livestock up in a temp place, put the 20g water into a container Switch the sand over, add the old water and new water, get filter going. Use the old media. Get it all to temp and settled then start re adding your live stock

So the extra 40 gallons don't need to build up any type of bacteria the filtera bacteria should be fine?
Just seems Like a lot of new water to old ratio

Oh and I also have a few soft corals what's protocal on moving them

I can't give any advice when it comes to upgrading to a new tank as I've never done so. I would make sure that any new water matches in terms of salinity, temperature, and other parameters.

However, I do know that the beneficial bacteria does not live in the water column. The bacteria is present on surfaces; rock, sand, etc.

I don't know what you're doing in terms of the substrate but I know you would need to be careful if moving sand. It would depend a lot on how long the tank containing the old sand was set up prior, how deep, cleaning practice, etc. because it would harbor nutrients that could cause issues. I think its common practice to use new sand. That would deplete some of your beneficial bacteria, though I'd say you could seed with some of your old sand to help.

Also, depending on your stock, amount of live rock, and any other surfaces that would harbor bacteria that probably wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm sure someone with more experience with saltwater and upgrading a tank will come along and explain better.

That helps. The tank is fairly new maybe 2 months had the sand a little less than a month.

Back
Top Bottom