23 gal tank just cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C4t4StRoPhIc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! This is my first tank, and it is completely cycled for about 3 weeks now, and i currently have 10 hermit crabs, 7-10 turbo snails, a copper banded butterfly fish, a coral beauty, a yellow face sweeper goby, and 15 lbs of live rock. its a 23 gal tank, with protein skimmer, internal filter, power head and heater. now, on to my question....s

1. how many fish would you reccomend in this tank? i wanted to add 2 clowns and a foxface rabbitfish. but idk.

2. what foods should i be feeding them besides frozen brine shrimp?

3. the swimming pattern of the coral beauty, which i just bought today, is kinda jittery, like hes lagging. (sorry, only way i can think to describe it. gamer guy here.)

sorry for all the questions, but i dont wanna screw this up. thanks for any and all help you have to offer.

here are some pictures of the fish. :D

img_944384_0_8e4e22f328fc60695a7b61c6e92a7e5d.jpg

coral beauty

img_944384_1_89cdd1b2c79109fc752d1166ce1ed40b.jpg

copperbanded butterfly fish.

im hoping to eventually have a reef system, any advice/how long to wait on the corals i want to get/how many could i put in a 23gal?

Hello,
Congrats on the cycling,I know the feeling I have just finished cycling my tank 3weeks ago.
Have you checked liveaquaria.com ?if not check it out they have alot of information on saltwater fish and recommended tank size's for them.

welp, these guys will be in the tank for about 2-3 years, then i will be upgrading to a 50+ gallon tank. im not sure what just yet, but that is the plan.

The coral beauty will do ok in that tank though would be much happier in a larger tank. The copper band is another story. It really needs a much larger tank. Getting it to eat, well that is a horse, or fish rather, of another color. They are tough fish to feed. Many starve to death. Frozen brine is basically like feeding candy bars, very little nutritional value. Try frozen mysis and pellet food. The angel will benefit from nori or another seaweed.

What are your water parameters? I know you have finished your cycle but what are the actual numbers? What is your SG?

A 23g tank should have nano fish in it. Corals are a whole other matter. They depend on excellent water conditions, flow and proper lighting. Conditions need to be stable, temp, pH, SG, to keep corals happy and healthy. Having a heavy bio load (fish) will impare your coral growth in a smaller tank.

Not trying to be the stick in the mud just trying to point you in the right direction. When in doubt or you see something you like look it up online, or ask about it here.

You are OK probably on the CB but the butterfly and the foxface will not make it. You say 2 or 3 yrs down the road you`ll upgrade but I personally dont see either fish surving that long in your tank. Fish do not grow to their surrondings. They will get bigger and develope health problems. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it needs to be said.

i dont have the actual numbers on me because i dont have a test kit so my LFS has been doing it for me. the copperband has been eating whatever i put in there, no problems with him. i will get some mysis and nori today and toss that in there and see how they like that tho, before i get too convinced the copperband will eat.

how long will it take the copperband to outgrow this tank?

It is already outgrown the tank. It's not a matter of size it is a matter of behavior and habitat. The CBB needs a larger tank with lots of LR. It will spend all day picking at the rocks eating pods and other reef bugs. It is a tough fish to keep even for experienced people in the proper sized tank.

Having test kits on hand is a must in this hobby. Having a smaller tank things can change quickly and having those kits will keep you from running to the LFS (who aren't always right) to find out what's going on in your water.

A tip for future purchases...research them online, don't depend on your LFS for all the answers. Remember they are a business and chances are they are looking at your wallet and not your tank. All of the LFSs in my area and Ive never heard them try and talk someone out of buying a fish, no matter what size tank they had. Money talks there.

Personally I would return the Copper Banded Butterfly or find a local reef club and get someone to take it for you.

i appreciate the concern on the lfs looking only at my wallet. and dont get me wrong, there are a few places here that are, in fact, interested in only my wallet, but the store i go to, and the only reason, is they actually care about the well being of the fish and my enjoyment as an aquarist. i know its hard to believe, but they chastise me for trying to pick out fish that wont work.

Hmmm, well, you did pick out one that won't work and they happily sold it to you. I had a CBB and the poor thing starved. I could not get it to eat.

Just a tip for peace of mind...I would make-up about 20 gallons of water and keep on hand with a ph keeping the water moving...you never know when an emergency can pop-up !!!

well, you see, thats the main thing that people keep telling me. they are hard to get to start eating, and they usually starve to death. but this guy, he eats whatever i put in there, and eats alot of it. he doesnt swim around picking at the rocks all day, he just swims contentedly till next feed time. see why im a little hesitant to take this guy back?

It's not just a matter of getting the fish to eat. CBBs are hard to feed yes but they need a larger tank then what you have it in. I wold say with the 2 fish you have you are pretty much maxed out on the bio load of the tank. Of course keeping the fish is up to you, we cant make you do anything. We can only offer personal experience and knowledge take from it what you will.

well, like i said, they will be in a 50-100 gallon within the next 2 years, maybe even this summer if im lucky. well just see how it goes

on tuesday, i bought some new lights. Energy Saver Aqualight Dual Power Compact lights. for someone hoping to have a reef set up, would you say this is appropriate/adequate for my needs?

If you're talking the 2x 65W lights, then you'll be fine for just about all LPS coral, and some lesser demanding SPS. But don't expect the SPS to be too colorful or fast growing. LPS, mushrooms, soft corals... all those will do fine.

so, after much persuasion from you guys and the other forum im a regular at, ive decided to take the CBB back. What would you guys reccomend as a replacement for a fish that has that much personality and is loved that much? *pouty face*

also, the tank has been cycled for about 2 or 3 weeks now. how long should i wait before i put any corals in? i love the mushroom corals. what would you guys reccomend/what do you guys like?

my tank is kinda cloudy. but not like, smokey cloudy, but snowy cloudy. know what i mean? like deap sea marine snow. is this normal? how can i fix this?

Did you do the major water change after your tank finished cycling? I would do all tests so you know where you stand now. It might be time for a PWC. You also might have stirred up the sand catching your fish. Do you have a filter you can put some floss in? That will help take it out...just rinse it out often and it should clear up.

I would just let your tank settle a few days before adding anything.

Back
Top Bottom