24 gallon work in progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spanky

Aquarium Advice Activist
got two things not sure what to do with. 1 looks like a white egg with yellow center i suspect nail egg. What do i do after it hatches is there any special requirement? problem 2 got hair algea which is dying off whats best way to get it off lr? i was using a tooth brush cleaning the live rock in 5 gallon bucket with tank water i removed doing water change seems pretty ineffective. got 10-15 hermit crabs an a bunch of snails more then what i paid for but lost count after 150 which do well keeping glass clear, but not the rocks. little info on tank ph 8.4 ammonia ,nitrate ,nitrite all read 0 I have to what they lfs called fancy ocellaris clown fish in tank an 1 bangaii cardinal. tanks been up for 2 months so i figure the hair algea was when tank was cycling since was much much worse which after cycle i removed alot an added the fish. now seem nutrients that was fueling the growth must be gone. so what's the best way to remove the dying algea thanks i'll try upload 2 pics i just took one of the egg an 1 mainly focusing on the algea thanks for the help.

Attachments

• egg 001.jpg
    egg 001.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 136
  • egg maybe 001.jpg
    egg maybe 001.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 132
Holy moly that's what my tank looked like during my cycle........a forest! My advice would be to do a lights out for a day or two. That was the only thing that got rid of mineit just grew way to fast for my crabs to keep up with and scrubbing dosent work it still grows back. You don't have any coral do you? What is you feeding schedule and water change schedule? Have you checked you water change water for phospates algae loves the phosphate. These questions could provide the source of the problem. How long has the tank been up for? :)

tanks been up 2 months.
lights come on at noon an go off at midnight.
don't check for phospates since using distilled water.
no corals.
feedings are noon and 10 pm usually they eat all the food when its gone they looking for more. last 2 weeks been feeding 1 time aday every other day.
water changes are 20% every 2 weeks.
currently using kent marine reef salt was using Instant Ocean 50 gallon mix (bag) when outbreak hit.

9 hrs is enough light..my lite schedule is: 5am blues only
6am whites and blues both on( i have leds,marineland reef capable)
2 pm go to blues only,whites off
3-330p all off and turn on moonlights
Your hair algae loves lots of light...i had a problem with algae and found out 12 hours of light way too much.... Convict helped me set a schedule ..;) very important to do weekly,not biweekly water changes....need to get phospates out and make sure to remove any loose algae you can...watch your fish for any distress caused by die off of algae(respiratory,etc)

Phospates come from leftover food not eaten by residents has nothing to do with what kind of water you use to mix your saltwater with..hope this helps..:)

thanks for replies all i'll do weekly water changes an try the 9 hour schedule.

If ya don't have coral I would suggest a two day black out. The light in the surrounding room should be good for the fish. The reason I asked about the phospates was because I thought they could come from the water source. At least that is the impression I have always got from others. Even though water is distilled I belive it could still carry stuff hence why so many reefers have rodi filters. I could be wrong though. Hopefully someone can answer. Good luck with the hair algae it's some nasty stuff to deal with. :)

thanks all for the help algea almost completely gone now got a big blotch of purple crap on side of my tank guessing coraline algea which i hear is good so as long as it stays on side i'm cool with it being there. the way i ended up getting the algea in check i added a lawnmower blenny 3 days later tank was nice an clear an had to buy blenny food.

Back
Top Bottom