Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

29 gal. FOWLR Bio Cube in the planning stages

I'm new to the aquarium world. I've never owned a fish before so I'm looking for a lot of advice on sw fowlr tanks. Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated.

I've been researching the 29 gallon bio cube because of the square shape (pretty much all I have room for) and because it looks very simple to run.

Please let me know your opinions on he bio tube. Pros and cons. Also if it easier to run and set up than a normal 29 gallon tank.

Thank u

Old 11-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a biocube! It's great! You might as well do a reef with it because the stock lights give to a lot of options with corals

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #3

I'm a little nervous to have coral in a tank because I'm new at this and I'm assuming coral takes a lot more care than a fowlr. I figured I'd get my feet wet with the fowlr and maybe move to coral after a while.

How much time out of the week is dedicated to your aquarium? How often do you do water changes? Are there daily jobs in keeping up with it?

I'm trying to figure out if I have enough time in the week to commit to the fish and tank.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also have the 29g biocube and enjoy it immensely.

I spend maybe an hour a week on it total. That includes the water changes of 3g a week and changing out the filter floss every few days. I usually scrape any algae from the corners every week or two takes another 10-15 minutes.

Now when I first started the tank I spent more time with it. between testing and water changes and other things I spent more time on it. But it has stabilized so it's almost care free now. I am also just running a fowlr for now as I have 2 other reef tanks already.

I'd reconsider corals, I think the easy ones are just that, easy. Once your water parameters are good you can add some zooas or mushrooms in with no problem.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well what you can do is set it up as a fowlr and put only reef safe fish in it, then when your comfortable you can add some soft corals. Lps and soft corals aren't hard to keep... All you have to do is feed some of them a few times a week with a turkey baster. And depending on your salt mix you may need to dose some trace elements. All in all as long as you just keep Lps and softies, a reef set up isn't much harder and you might as well start with it. Just make sure too keep up with your pwc(10% weekly)

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #6

Thanks...I will defiantly consider some of the coral recommendations.

My next question is live rock and base rock. How do u know how much total rock to use? Is it just preference or is there a formula? Once that is decided...how do u determine how much live rock and how much base? I will assume coral only grows on live rock.

I warned u that I'm in the dark on almost everything involved with this. I have a lot of questions.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i have about 35-40lbs of rock in my 29g cube. I started with abotu 80% base rock and 20% live rock. base rock or dead rock will become live over a few weeks and after a couple months you wont be able to tell the difference.

Coral can be placed on any rock, live or not.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #8

Oh ok. So I don't have to go crazy with the live rock.

When starting, is it hard to get the tank levels stabilized in order to add fish? I wasn't very good at chemistry so this is also a concern for me.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Have you read the sticky on the forum for cycling? I'ts really not that hard but patience is gonna be key.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:01 PM   #10

I did not see that stickie but I'm reading one on saltwater tank set up which seems to be informative. It will help me figure out the approximate expenses.

Tags
bio, bio cube, cube, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com