29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The compatibility chart on LA say puffers and lionfish are compatible. There could be conflict between an angler and puffer though. If the angler did try eating the puffer, the puffer would..well blow up and the angler hopefully would spit it out or die..:(. With the angler and lion, I'd think adding the angler first would be best. Have no clue if the lion would think of the angler as food if the angler was introduced 2nd. If a 3" lion is then introduced to a tank with a 1" angler, he's not going to assume the lion is food.

If I did the puffer I wouldn't do the angler. It would be 1.lion and angler or 2.lion and puffer.

Now as for adding. The only reason I'm worried about adding the angler first is the angler my lfs has is definitely bigger than 1" my best guess is 3-4"

I was just saying in general like what a previous poster was saying about the puffer getting eaten. Get a wartskin which only grows up to 4". If your LFS has scorpionfish that works too. By the time you cycle it, the angler might be gone. Do they special order livestock?

Yes they special order but idk if it'll be gone haha. :p it's been there for quite some time. And i enjoy watching it :) haha. It's an assorted angler which says is fine in a 30 gallon. But may also grow to 9" however as far as I've read they usually reach about 6"

Man if I knew someone who owned, or I owned a 9" angler, I'd be scared that thing would eat me!

I know! But it'd be one awesome sight :) I keep changing my mind haha. Now I'm thinking I want just an angler tank and my 55 when I set it up will be a lion, puffer, and snowflake eel.

If I just had an angler do you think I'd be okay without a skimmer?

Do whatever. You'd have to make up the lack of movement of the angler with some awesome corals and macroalgae :wink:. No doubt you could go without a skimmer.

Haha okay :) after I add the angler I'll decide what to do to create entertainment...

As for feeding, I want to feed chromis/damsels. That will be okay for the fish, just expensive right? And how many fish should I feed per week?

Possibly...anglers can die b/c they don't know when to stop feeding. But that angler does look healthy and damsels are not fed with tweazers right in front of his face...he has to catch it. What's the probability he'll catch all five in a day? Maybe the damsels are too fast and he still feeds the angler live foods? Wasn't really specified I think.

Idk. I actually started reading that whole thread but gave up on page 10 lol! But yeah if anyone could tell me how much a week? In sure if differs depending on size.

Also would a small 1" or less angler be able to eat a small chromis?

In that thread the angler was an inch or under and he was "making friends" with the chromis. Everyone said one day he'll turn on his buddy and eat him. Don't know if he has yet...Anyway, anglers can eat fish the same size, if not larger than they are. I doubt a 1" angler would go after a moving chromis. The chromis is likely up top or in the middle and the angler is on the rocks..not very convenient. Looks like live saltwater shrimp is going to be a good source of food. You can try getting him to eat frozen foods in the mean time. Experiment..

I'll try a small chromis and hope he can lure it down there. :) haha

Could I put 2 in if I did at the same time? Or is that just asking for trouble and I should just stick with one?

Back
Top Bottom