Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

29 gallon

Hey, I'm thinking about turning my empty 29 gallon tank into a FOWLR. But I want it to be an aggressive tank that I can feed live fish to.

I was thinking a lionfish for sure and possibly something else later on. What lions could I get that would fit in a 29 gallon. Any other fish suggestions?

I also have a 55 that I could upgrade to once the fish gets bigger but I don't really have room for it right now so I'd prefer to keep things that could live at least a couple years in the 29.

Any opinions options suggestions ideas Ect. Is awesome. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

dwarf lionfish, orangetail filefish, dwarf flame angel, Papuan Toby Puffer, grey head wrasse, christmas wrasse, hoevens wrasse(!), lyretail hogfish (looks cooler in person, but they get really big). Most of these are rated for 50 gallon though b/c it was hard to find something for 30. Just threw some ideas out there, definitely don't get them all, and I don't know if they are all compatible.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe a tank w/ a fu manchu lion and an angler (they are compatible!) and possibly one more fish. That would be an epic combo!

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good. Would a 29 be fine with a Fu Manchu lion an angler and 1 other fish?

If not I'm also considering building a stand so I can have my 55 for the aggressive fish and put some fish to feed them in the 29 above it. (chromis, damsels, something)
Old 11-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends what the other fish is, but I think it would be fine. Not like the angler will be hogging up space..probably just going to hang out/perch on the rocks most of the time. For small anglers it's best to start them off with saltwater feeder shrimp. Then slowly introduce frozen foods b/c live fish even the cheap damsels get very expensive. I'd say go for the 55, but I'm not the one doing the work .

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. I'd rather keep it 29 gallon. And I think just those 2 would be good. At least for now... Idk what else I would add haha. Idk what else would eat fish.

I was thinking feed live fish and silver sides? I get a huge discount at my lfs to the point where chromis and damsels cost me about 1$ a piece. And don't you only need to feed like twice a week if using feeders?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Krill works I'm pretty sure. Wow that's really inexpensive. I don't know how often it would be, I mean even with the usual $5 twice a week or even once a week (you're an exception lol) it would cost a lot more than frozen food that's say $7 and lasts for months (estimation). If you have an asian market near you, silversides can be way cheaper than a packaged food at the LFS. Would be good to add vitamens to it though. Btw anglers don't stop eating so just keep in mind not to overfeed because some people have killed theirs due to that. Don't get discouraged though! It would be cool to have a macroalgae tank or just have red macroalgaes like dragon breath, red grape, and/or gracilaria tang heaven to have a "fire" effect. The light wouldn't be too expensive. I don't just an idea to enhance the look of it

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll keep that in mind yeah. My price is what the owner pays so very cheap live food that's what inspired me to do a predator tank that'll eat live food.

Now I'm all excited to start this up but will have to wait a few weeks. oh well. It'll give me time to research.

What can I have as a CUC with these kind of fish?
Old 11-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

What would you think of a Fu manchu lion, an angler, and a Valentini puffer? Think that'd work in a 29?

Would the puffer need it's own separate food? Or would it eat the fish along with the others?
Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

How fast is this tank gonna get all dirty? Would it be worth it now to invest in a skimmer?

Tags
29 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com