29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khij159753

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I'm thinking about turning my empty 29 gallon tank into a FOWLR. But I want it to be an aggressive tank that I can feed live fish to.

I was thinking a lionfish for sure and possibly something else later on. What lions could I get that would fit in a 29 gallon. Any other fish suggestions?

I also have a 55 that I could upgrade to once the fish gets bigger but I don't really have room for it right now so I'd prefer to keep things that could live at least a couple years in the 29.

Any opinions options suggestions ideas Ect. Is awesome. Thanks!

dwarf lionfish, orangetail filefish, dwarf flame angel, Papuan Toby Puffer, grey head wrasse, christmas wrasse, hoevens wrasse(!), lyretail hogfish (looks cooler in person, but they get really big). Most of these are rated for 50 gallon though b/c it was hard to find something for 30. Just threw some ideas out there, definitely don't get them all, and I don't know if they are all compatible.

Maybe a tank w/ a fu manchu lion and an angler (they are compatible!) and possibly one more fish. That would be an epic combo!

Sounds good. Would a 29 be fine with a Fu Manchu lion an angler and 1 other fish?

If not I'm also considering building a stand so I can have my 55 for the aggressive fish and put some fish to feed them in the 29 above it. (chromis, damsels, something)

Depends what the other fish is, but I think it would be fine. Not like the angler will be hogging up space..probably just going to hang out/perch on the rocks most of the time. For small anglers it's best to start them off with saltwater feeder shrimp. Then slowly introduce frozen foods b/c live fish even the cheap damsels get very expensive. I'd say go for the 55, but I'm not the one doing the work :lol:.

Yeah. I'd rather keep it 29 gallon. And I think just those 2 would be good. At least for now... Idk what else I would add haha. Idk what else would eat fish.

I was thinking feed live fish and silver sides? I get a huge discount at my lfs to the point where chromis and damsels cost me about 1$ a piece. And don't you only need to feed like twice a week if using feeders?

Krill works I'm pretty sure. Wow that's really inexpensive. I don't know how often it would be, I mean even with the usual $5 twice a week or even once a week (you're an exception lol) it would cost a lot more than frozen food that's say $7 and lasts for months (estimation). If you have an asian market near you, silversides can be way cheaper than a packaged food at the LFS. Would be good to add vitamens to it though. Btw anglers don't stop eating so just keep in mind not to overfeed because some people have killed theirs due to that. Don't get discouraged though! It would be cool to have a macroalgae tank or just have red macroalgaes like dragon breath, red grape, and/or gracilaria tang heaven to have a "fire" effect. The light wouldn't be too expensive. I don't just an idea to enhance the look of it :D

I'll keep that in mind :) yeah. My price is what the owner pays :) so very cheap live food :) that's what inspired me to do a predator tank that'll eat live food. :)

Now I'm all excited to start this up :) but will have to wait a few weeks. :( oh well. It'll give me time to research.

What can I have as a CUC with these kind of fish?

What would you think of a Fu manchu lion, an angler, and a Valentini puffer? Think that'd work in a 29?

Would the puffer need it's own separate food? Or would it eat the fish along with the others?

How fast is this tank gonna get all dirty? Would it be worth it now to invest in a skimmer?

How much would I feed an angler and a Fu Manchu lion? Like how many fish per week?

So I think I will get a skimmer and I'm just gonna put in a Fu Manchu lionfish and an angler :) I've been reading Alot of threads... Will having those 2 in my 29 gallon work?

It will work. Yes, I would invest in a skimmer to keep the water to correct parameters. I have a reef octopus bh-1000(external pump), and the 1000 with the pump on the inside, they work great! If you get a third fish, make it something that will swim around more. The angler will just lay there. The fu Manchu will swim and perch. I'd say a Picasso(Huma) triggerfish. They swim only. Since you are upgrading in the future, you can just get them all juveniles now. I wouldn't go with a valentini, only because they are huge fin nippers. Maybe something else in the Toby family.

Okay. Well the puffer was something my gf really wants. I'd get another puffer but idk what to get. I want something that would be okay in a 29 cause I might not be able to upgrade for a couple years. :/

and I heard the angler would eat the puffer and the lion. Have you ever kept the 2 together?

Tank not big enough for all 3 at adult size. I would be surprised if the angler does not eventually eat the puffer.

Use a skimmer if you overload on fish.

Well I'd either get the angler and the lion
or the lion and the puffer. If I could. Think the lion would be fine with the angler?

If not think I could put a lion and a small Valentini puffer in the 29? And add a snowflake eel when I upgrade to my 55?

The lion and angler are fine. They are compatible according to liveaquaria and my LFS has them together and they are fine.

Awesome! Would the second option work also? Just so I know my options?

Back
Top Bottom