29 gallon fowlf potential stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ericwm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am planning on upgrading my 29 gallon reef to a 90 gallon. I am going to transfer all of my live rock but don't with some advice from this forum I don't want to transfer my sand and risk a nutrient spike. That being said I will have a 29 with an established sand bed, I realized I can just add some base rock and have a really cheap second tank. I am trying to decide if I should do it and I am thinking the deciding factor is if there is some cool stock that I can keep in a 29 that I can't put in my reef ( and if my wife lets me). Please throw out some ideas and help give me some ideas for a cool "lower maintenance" fowlr tank.

I think I may have to do this, it looks like I could do a hawk fish, a saddle puffer and a psudochromis. Those seem to be pretty cool and I can't have any in my reef because of my shrimp. Would an urchin be ok in the tank with these three? I think they are cool too but I don't want them knocking over all of my coral in my reef?

i dont see why not urchin should be fine just wait until there is enough food for him they are pretty ferocious algea eater and with not enough food will starve so i would add him when well established hope this helps and good luck

I was thinking of putting some macro algae in there to help keep good parameters, would this keep it fed or would it just tear through it faster than it will grow? I am pretty excited for this, I really like the saddle puffer just not enough to get rid of my shrimp. Thanks for the advice.

Keep the stock ideas coming if anyone has any more.

My LFS has a long nose hawk fish. I wish I had this tank up, I'm pretty sure my other LFS has a saddle puffer too. I did just get permission from my wife to buy the 90gallon for my reef so it won't be long. All I had to do is let her get another puppy.

image-2858013451.jpg

Careful with the Pseudochromis. They can be nasty little buggers. I had one years ago that terrorized my tank. It was one of the few fish I have ever taken back to the LFS.

I think I have decided on my stock for the tank. I am thinking the saddle puffer for sure and am thinking the long nose hawkfish. I think it could be cool to add a dwarf lion once my other fish grow. I also am thinking of an urchin and a cc starfish. I have done some reading and have seen success stories with the saddle puffer and these inverts. I am open to any criticism on this stock as it may be challenging. I am willing to work on the challenge, that is part of why it interests me.

Thanks.

The puffer and hawk are probably okay. Both have interesting personalities too. Any dwarf lion should really be in something larger.

The puffer and hawk are probably okay. Both have interesting personalities too. Any dwarf lion should really be in something larger.

I guess you are right. I'm struggling for my 3rd fish... I want a cool one that I can't put in my reef.

My LFS has a long nose hawk fish. I wish I had this tank up, I'm pretty sure my other LFS has a saddle puffer too. I did just get permission from my wife to buy the 90gallon for my reef so it won't be long. All I had to do is let her get another puppy.

Lol, to get my newest tank I had to get my fiancée a puppy too!

Well I figured out my third fish and I already have it. I am going to keep my coral beauty in there so I can do tube worms and maybe a clam eventually in my reef.

image-208508483.jpg

I think it will be an interesting tank. I can't wait.

Does anyone have any advice on a marine beta in a 29, I am thinking it would be to small for the fish but they are really cool.

Yeah, I guess I will have to upgrade this tank after my reef build. I'm sure my wife will be thrilled... Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom