Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cant help you with the cycling because I just started trying to cycle my first tank. But cute bird, I used to have all kinds of different parrots. Tank looks nice as well.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad you started! Everyone's tank is different so there's no saying when a cycle will be completely finished. Make sure that the ammonia reaches 4-5 ppm. I don't know why they gave you hermit crabs if they knew there was going to be ammonia :L. Cycle usually lasts 1 or 2 months (mine was 2), but it depends (can be more or less). Love the bird!

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Who knows why they gave me Craps. To be honest, I shouldn't have taken them. I was just in the buying moment and they threw them in on top of it, maybe it was to give the tank something to help cycle. They are just going to get eaten by the fish when I get them anyway. Should I put a dead shrimp in the tank as too make sure the Bactria has something to eat? Or would all the live rock and sand be sufficient?

I am feeding the Craps, so that helps put stuff in the tank. When I did the test strip the Ammonia was not that bad, and in the safe. When I did the liquid test it was at 5 PPM. So I don't know, I am going to definitely let it run for a while before putting fish in.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Throw a shrimp in there. Maybe 2 so you can get a real good strong cycle going. But with all cured live rock and live sand your cycle, I wouldn't be surprised if it were over in 1 week
Old 12-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Khij That was the plan. I wanted to get it done and have fish as soon as I could. I wanted to do it right. I may have went overboard, but nuking my first tank (freshwater) made me real cautious with this one.

Question! I have micro-bubbles all over the tank, and the skimmer is making some from the sponge where the water comes out of after it has been though the skimmer. I have a reef octopus BH 1000. Is there something I need to do besides putting it together and turning it on? I had to blow air into the air tube to get it going a little.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

So put 2 shrimp in there and let it run. Keep testing until your ammonia and nitrite are at 0. Also don't run your skimmer during the cycle.

Skimmers usually take 2 weeks as a brake in period and are known to produce micro bubbles during that.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Got the Shrimp in the tank now. Two big uncooked raw shrimp. :-p
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's been three days since I threw the shrimp in the tank. Both have have nasty white slime layer around them. I am assuming that is normal. I have not tested my water yet, I am going to when I get back from school this weekend.

I have been thinking, now that I have it up and running my mind has gone wild with what fish I should put in. I know I have my line up, but that has been changing every minute it seems like. lol

I am really sure I want the Six Line Wrasse and the Flame Angle. I am not sure about the Hawkfish thou. I already tossed out the dwarf lion long ago. So what third fish should I replace the Hawkfish with? Would a big clown fish be ok with the two tank mates?? or maybe two clown fish? Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

The way I stock my tanks, I keep a few things in mind: besides the fish limit, do I want inverts as well, so the fish have to be invert safe if so. Also, water space activity: I like all space of my aquariums to be active! Therefore I want swimmers- to occupy the open water, a bottom dweller- to occupy the sand, and a fish that perches- to occupy the rockscape.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I think the Flame and the Wrasse will be nice swimmers for me. I guess being that I only got a small 29 gallon tank, I can only put so much in. I should stick with my original line up and include the hawkfish still. With the three fish that I do plan on, what else would you suggest for a fourth? A bottom dweller maybe??

Tags
29 gallon, build, build thread, dwarf, fish, fowlr, lion fish, long, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com