Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey guys, question. As everyone has told me my canister filter is fine for a little while, but not a good long term investment for a saltwater tank.

So how would I go about adding a sump to it, how big should it be? Would a ten gallon sump be ok? I had an idea, I could get the Fluval tubes that are already in the tank and just switch each side to pumps. One that pumps into the sump and the other that pumps back into the tank. Does that sound like a good idea?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Activist

Need to make some great hiding places caves for the fish don't stack rock to tight. Go slow cycle tank all the way fish will be happy and your wallet too. Be patient with this hobby cause you need time too good luck.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Solo. I have been taking my time, it's been months for me just waiting to get the tank up and running. My cycle is in its 2nd week so I hope it will be done soon. I know it could take a month or more.

I put the shrimp in the tank to cycle and I think it's going well. I have not tested at all yet, so I don't really know. I am going to test today when I get back from my weekend masters program. I went overboard in the live sand and live rock category in hopes to make a better environment for my fish. I even changed my line up (Again as to make sure things will be perfect. I was going to buy a cheap skimmer but chose to get the one that was better and highly rated. So I hope the way I start will help me finish and sustain!

Here is my old line ups.

1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Hawkfish
1 Dwarf Loinfish

Than I went ahead and dropped the Lionfish

1 Six line Wrasse
1 Hawkfish
1 Flame Angle

Well I want fish that will be able to live their full life in the tank without having to upgrade (Just in case I can't upgrade). So I changed it to this and this should be the finial list!

1 Six Line Wrasse
2 True percula Clownfish
1 Flame Hawkfish (I got hermit craps and the flame hawkfish shouldn't eat them, that's what the website says anyway, my hermits are not a big deal.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hey guys, I need some help.

I put in two uncooked shrimp in my tank to begin the cycle, I pulled one out already. It was nasty to say the least.

I was reading that being I got so much live rock (50 pounds) that is already cured and 60 pounds of live sand that I didn't need to put a dead shrimp in? Should I take the last one out?

I am going to test my water when I get home, so I hope that things are good.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
Hey guys, I need some help.

I put in two uncooked shrimp in my tank to begin the cycle, I pulled one out already. It was nasty to say the least.

I was reading that being I got so much live rock (50 pounds) that is already cured and 60 pounds of live sand that I didn't need to put a dead shrimp in? Should I take the last one out?

I am going to test my water when I get home, so I hope that things are good.
in my experience from what i have seen and heard the cured rock and the live sand should have done the trick you have to test it to find out.i think the shrimp might have been over kill.The shrimp creates a bacteria that is consumed by another bacteria and then ultimately get taken out with pwc nitrite is created by ammonia but if you have live everything the amonnia should not be necessary imo hope this helps good luck
10 gallon (quarantine)
chiclidlover81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tested my water and took out the shrimp. I believe I tested everything right, I will do everything again in tomorrow.

Nitrite = 5.0
PH = 8.4
Nitrate = 0
Ammonia = 0.25

Test strips seem to confirm that I was right, I do both and compare.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282
Tested my water and took out the shrimp. I believe I tested everything right, I will do everything again in tomorrow.

Nitrite = 5.0
PH = 8.4
Nitrate = 0
Ammonia = 0.25

Test strips seem to confirm that I was right, I do both and compare.
Your live rock may have been fully cured but it doesn't seem to have the bacteria needed to convert ammonia to nitrate yet. You'll need to have zero ammonia and nitrite before you can be certain that your tank is safe for fish. 5ppm nitrite and 0 nitrate usually indicates that you have a couple of weeks to go before your tank will be ready for it's first fish. Glad to hear the hermit crabs are hanging on!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice FINatic

fine with me, going the slow way works. I want my fish to be healthy and safe. I no longer have the shrimp in, so I am going to just sit with the craps and rock. I am going to do another test tomorrow as I might have mixed up test tubes. I don't think I did, but we shall see. Do I want Nitrate?
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
fine with me, going the slow way works. I want my fish to be healthy and safe. I no longer have the shrimp in, so I am going to just sit with the craps and rock. I am going to do another test tomorrow as I might have mixed up test tubes. I don't think I did, but we shall see. Do I want Nitrate?
Yes. Nitrates are the final result of the nitrogen cycle. It goes ammo-nitrite-nitrate. When your tank is fully cycled, you'll probably have high nitrates. Then you do a large PWC to get them as close to zero as possible and then add a fish.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank Test 2

Ph = 8.4

Ammonia = 0.25

Nitrite = 5.0

Nitrate = 5.0

Tags
29 gallon, build, build thread, dwarf, fish, fowlr, lion fish, long, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com