Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question

I had got off the phone with a LFS and they told me my deep sand bed is dangerous, it can leak out gases and kill my fish. How true is this and do I need to get something to sift though the sand to make this not happen? Have I inadvertently created an environment where I need a sand sifter? I want a Flame Hawkfish so I don't want him to eat the snails I put into the tank to sift the sand. I also have an open top tank and any jawfish I put in will jump. :-(

This is the line up of fish I was going to put into my tank. Would a Sand Sifting Starfish be ok? I could throw one in and I guess have to feed it so it don't die when it's done cleaning the tank bottom.

1 Six Line Wrasse
2 True Percula Clownfish
1 Flame Hawkfish

Any suggestions on what to put in to help sift the sand? Would a Sand Sifting Sea Star be good with that line up? I guess I would have to feed the Star extra stuff so it won't die and nuke the tank.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

How deep is the sand and what size is it (the exact type)? I've always used deep sand beds.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak

Same here. Mine are usually 3-4 maybe even 5 inches. My two wrasses in my aggressive tank agitate the sand for me. Both play in it, and the red coris burrows in it to sleep. At times I will gently agitate the sand myself too.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, It was just one fish store. I put a ruler up to my tank and it was about 3 1/2in deep sand bed in a 29 gallon tank. On one side my sand kind of dips down to create a 2in sand bed, but it looks cool so I left it that way.

By the way. I got my water tested last night!! Looks like I am almost there.

Nitrite = 5.0
PH = 8.4
Nitrate = 20
Ammonia = 0.00

So looks like I am at the last stage where Nitrate is building up. This Friday I am going to retest the water and if things check out, do a 10 gallon water change, and get my Six Line the next day. :-p
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
Thanks, It was just one fish store. I put a ruler up to my tank and it was about 3 1/2in deep sand bed in a 29 gallon tank. On one side my sand kind of dips down to create a 2in sand bed, but it looks cool so I left it that way.

By the way. I got my water tested last night!! Looks like I am almost there.

Nitrite = 5.0
PH = 8.4
Nitrate = 20
Ammonia = 0.00

So looks like I am at the last stage where Nitrate is building up. This Friday I am going to retest the water and if things check out, do a 10 gallon water change, and get my Six Line the next day. :-p
Not trying to rain on your parade, really, but nitrites take a bit longer to go down than the ammonia does. Thinking its not likely to be done by Friday, but, hey, weirder things have happened. Just don't get your hopes up too high, just in case.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, they have been up for three months. So if it takes a little while longer than expected than I am sure a week or more will not kill me. :-p

I am just hoping with all the live rock and sand it will cycle quickly. That was the hope when I bought 60 pounds of live sand and 50 pounds of live rock for a 29 gallon tank. :-p
Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

3 1/2" of sand should be okay unless it's really fine stuff. Very fine sand at that depth could possibly go anaerobic on you given time. The guys at the shop were just trying to be helpful. Personally if it's fine I'd take an inch out. I've seen and smelled anaerobic sand and it isn't pretty.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is the sand I got. Personally I am going to let it go, at this point taking it out will do more harm than good.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All right. I got the Egg Carton light covering. Now all I got to do is cut it to my tank.

Being able to have a tight cover is going to make me feel better about having fish in my tank. I might even go ahead and throw in a Bluespotted Watchman Goby now. :-p

I was talking to the fish store, and they suggested that I put in my Six Line Wrasse in 2nd. After the two True Percula Clownfis. Than the Flame Hawkfish. If I were to put in a Watchman Goby for a bottom sand sifter. When should I put him in?

This is a 29 gallon tank, and I am not wanting to overstock. So if the Watchman is a little much than I can live without.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not the best, but it Works!

Cutting the lid sucked, but it's on now. A fish will now have to go out of it's way to commit jumping suicide from my tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7269.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	137605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8245.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	137606  

Tags
29 gallon, build, build thread, dwarf, fish, fowlr, lion fish, long, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com