Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think 5 fish would be to many. You can make a separate piece of egg crate for the front that will let you work in the tank while the lights are still protected from falling in. Could be useful.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Coralline

You think it would be too much, even if the Watchman had the whole bottom to himself? :-/ It's all good. I was just thinking of something that will go though the sand and clean it.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anytime! (^_^)

What about a little colony of sand sifting snails or a sand starfish? You'll want to wait a few months to let some gunk build up before adding them but they have their own special charm. I'm a fan of any snail that travels around through the sand. They're easy to keep and have a crazy small bio load.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Death in the Family Fish tree. :-/

So, here I am thinking everything is going good with my small established aquarium. I had a 2.5 Gallon tank with a Betta names Max in it. Just the Betta nothing more. We had Max for only 3 months, we had him in a fully cycled tank. :-(

The tank is not the problem, I did my weekly water change (50% water change in that small of a tank). I finished cleaning the tank and put the lid back on where I normally put it and left to go see "The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey"
I come home just now and couldn't find Max in the tank. I looked and looked. I find him behind the stand dead.

I know this is Salt Water FOWLR thread, but had to share my sad experience somewhere. Didn't want to start a whole new thread. I still don't get it, I never had a fish JUMP out of a tank, I never had my first Betta jump out of his tank for the three years he lived with me. I never thought Betta's do jump, especially when the opening was so small. I just don't get it!!

Well, Max went to the great fish bowl in the sky today, and here I am still trying to get a SaltWater tank going. I am talking about Jumpers and got a lid for my Saltwater tank so I wouldn't have a jumper and what happens. My Betta jumps. :-(
Old 12-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear a out that. I've lost a few fish like that so everything gets a lid now. One time I was acclimating a beautiful common clown with unique markings and I went to check on how the drip acclimation was going. I couldn't see him in the convalescent home... took a step back and felt a "crunch". He was on the floor under my shoe with blood coming out of his gills. The resilient little guy lived on for about four years until I moved and broke down the tank. He even got a new home years after I stepped on him! Needless to say, I felt awful about it and he was given loads of attention. Dogged a bullet on that one.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The store I am having ordering my True Percula Clownfish won't have them in for another 2 weeks. :-/

It might be a good thing, as my tank is still cycling and they don't mind if I don't buy them in case my tank is not finished cycling in two weeks. I hope it is!!

My question is, if my tank cycles before the two clown fish comes in, what should I do?
I don't want the good Bactria to not have anything to eat. A lot of people told me that a Six Line Wrasse should be the last thing in my tank, and that was originally the first fish I wanted to put in.

So how can I keep my tank cycled until the clown fish get in? Should I just over feed my hermit crabs? Or would the crabs be enough to keep it cycled. Oh and I had one die on me. :-/ I guess it was to be expected, still wish I didn't get them.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can't believe it is taking you so long all I had was live sand base rock and mine cycled in about 3 weeks I did add a cycling kit though in the second week
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Jamroze37

My tank just started it's 3rd week now. By Friday it will be a full three weeks. The ammonia is gone and now I am waiting for my Nitrites to go to 0.

So I am hoping that my tank will be cycled by Friday, I just want to know what fish to put in first.

My original plan was to put fish in this order.

One Six Line Wrasse

Two True Percula Clownfish

One Hawkfish (I want a Flame Hawkfish, but might put in another one)

Everyone I have talked to but one has told me the Six Line Wrasse should be the last fish I put into my tank with that line up. Being the store will not have my two clowns until next Friday I was wondering if a Six line Wrasse would be ok first, or a Hawkfish.

Maybe I will just get two false Percula Clown fish, as every store seems to have them in stock. :-p
Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go with what ya really want. IME the six line is the least aggressive of those fish and SHOULD be added first.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am so confused. :-p

Why so many different opinions on the Six Line Wrasse. LoL??

Tags
29 gallon, build, build thread, dwarf, fish, fowlr, lion fish, long, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com