Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

2x Good News

Got some awesome news. Not like anyone will REALLY care, but Im bored and feel like shareing . Finally got my green manderin trained to eat brine shrimp. He loves that stuff now. Very relieved. Also, buying my new 125g next week. Perfect condition, predrilled, awesome stained stand for only $200!!! Ty craigslist. Ill be making a transition thread within the next week from my 75g ---> 125g in case anyone is interested.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually i do have a question. My current skimmer is rated just right for my 75gal. I dont plan on going reef probably for another 6 months or so. Will my skimmer work for a 125g FOWLR until i can afford to upgrade? And do i really have to upgrade to a bigger skimmer, or can I just buy another one thats rated around the same as mine is?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

IMO any skimming will help. It should be OK plus some PWC`s to help. One thing about the brine Shrimp. See if you can get him to eat mysis shrimp or if you do brine make sure it `s vitamin fortified brine.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
IMO any skimming will help. It should be OK plus some PWC`s to help. One thing about the brine Shrimp. See if you can get him to eat mysis shrimp or if you do brine make sure it `s vitamin fortified brine.
yeah the package says "vitamin enhanced" so I hope it is.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEverii View Post
Got some awesome news. Not like anyone will REALLY care, but Im bored and feel like shareing . Finally got my green manderin trained to eat brine shrimp. He loves that stuff now. Very relieved. Also, buying my new 125g next week. Perfect condition, predrilled, awesome stained stand for only $200!!! Ty craigslist. Ill be making a transition thread within the next week from my 75g ---> 125g in case anyone is interested.

How did you manage to train him? I've always loved the dragonet fish and would love to have a red mandarin someday.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Was actually pretty easy. My LFS made me a feeding device. Its a small syringe with a long piece of plastic tubing on the end. What I would do is just prepare the brine shrimp like normal, turn all my powerheads off, suck up some shrimp into the tubing, and put it right in front of his face. I would have to make it all fall on his head for him to notice it lol. But after a day or so he finally started to taste it. Within the week he was fully trained. Its amazing, he actually comes RUSHING out of where hes hiding when he sees me put the tubing into the tank for feeding time
Old 05-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome, thanks for the info!

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That was pretty good info on training them to eat. Rep points coming your way.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
ill see if i can find the article where the guy talks about how he trained one to eat out of a jar.
also ORA is about to release tank breed ones soon including red mandrins. im guessing they wont be cheap thou.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

anytime :p

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com