Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

3 yellowtail damsels in newly cycled 52g - Whats my next fish ?

I just finished cycling my tank, and added 3 yellowtail damsels into the aquarium. They are now in the tank for about 5 days and doing ok.

I now want to add another fish in, but with 3 damsels already in the tank choosing territories, I am afraid that any other fish that I put in, since it will only be 1 (im not putting in a pair of anything), might have an issue with 3 damsels.

My son is screaming for Nemo & Dory fishes, and a clownfish is going to be a must have. I want a porcupine puffer which will also be a must have, but I dont know what my next fish should be, since it will only be 1.

Please give me suggestions and let me know your thoughts about the clownfish and porcupine puffer going in with 3 damsels.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

How big is the tank? You should have gone with Chromis' instead of regular damsels. There's a chromis (forget the name at the moment) that looks just like the yellow-tail without the aggression.

EDIT: Nevermind XD The pale-tale chromis is the yellow tail blue damsel.

It shouldn't be a problem if you have a big enough tank. However, be careful, I had my ybd tear into one of my dominoes before when I introduced him too late.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My tank is a 52g corner. If I got a clownfish that was bigger than all of the 3 damsels in size, would that help the clownfish from aggression from the damsels ?

Old 06-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would try to rehome at least one yellow tail damsel. One alone will claim about a 1'x1' square of territory.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

youd also have to get a smaller blue hippo and might have to find a new home for it when it gets older and bigger.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clowns and damsels are all part of the same family. If you get a more aggressive clown like a maroon, you'll be perfectly fine. If you add a pair of 1"-2" clowns (percs or ocellaris) they'll be fine also. Don't let the pretty colors of clowns fool you, they have a nasty streak also !!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
I would suggest staying away from the porcupine puffer. They are cool fish but they get huge. Well over a foot. They are really not suited for aquariums smaller then about 180 gallons. Can be difficult to find homes for when they get to big because a lot of people buy them not realizing their care requirements and have to get rid of them.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

DO NOT MIX CLOWNS thats a no no

Tags
cycle, cycled, damsel, damsels, led, yellowtail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com