30 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish4ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've had a 30 gallon for about 4 months now so far I have a true perv clown , bangai cardinal, fire fish and an assortment of polyp corals
I'd like to add
Fox face
Long nose butterfly
Yellow tang
And my fav a green mandarin
Ii know they are all a bit big but if my filtration is good coul they live ?

I don't think you could do them all I am afraid, but if you have got good filtration you could do one maybe? How old is the tank? The mandarin will work if you have an established tank. As for the others def not the tang. Butterflies are for advanced aquarists and will nip at corals. It is a reef tank? I have no experience with the fox face but on paper they require bigger tanks :)

The tank is 3-4 months and has about 40-50 pods on glass daily and the long nose is supposed to be a beginner butterfly

I'm sorry but I have a 34g tank too and it looks like only the mandarin can thrive in your tank, others are for 100g+ tank..

If you look at YouTube vid there is 30 gallon tanks with yellow tangs sailfins and fox faces so what are they doing that keeps them alive?

I mean at least 75g tank, they can reach sizes to 8 inches on adult stage...they'll get stress out in a small tank and will easily get disease when stressed..

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should! I think you might find that people who keep massive fish in tiny tanks doesn't last long term. +1 to the above, small quarters lead to stress which leads to disease. Save your money and the fishes health, choose a fish that can live its life long and happy in your tank :)

We have a 100 gallon we are about to so if needed once cycles complete I can add a fish to it I'm looking at the fox face but I've read they are reef safe with caution.

Yeah, none of those fish will work in a 30g, really. The mandarin can technically fit, but unless its trained to eat frozen or pellet, it'll quickly eat all the pods in a tank that small and then starve to death. All the other fish need much bigger tanks. There may very well be videos of small tanks with tangs in them, but that doesn't mean that tank is still doing well now. That could be a brief snapshot of how the tank looked that particular day. Tangs get ich very easily if stressed, and the. All the fish will get it and could wipe out the whole tank. Tangs need a lot of swimming space. There are fish that would work in a 30g. Check out chalk bass, royal grammas, a six line wrasse. There are lots of gobies that would work. Check out liveaquaria.com in the nano section.

We had a royal gramma that died of iCh in our 55 and I had an algae blenny tht just died I'd like another and I live in the florida keys so I can catch a chalk bass if needed and could I keep a reef butterfly , a four eye, or a Spotfin butterfly ? There is a lot of them out now since the waters cold ..

I am getting a hob refugium it should be here tomorrow

Butterflies need a 70g, most need even bigger. The four spot needs a 120g. These fish need to swim A LOT, and a 30g isn't even close to meeting that need. I know they're beautiful, and I understand wanting to have one. I want one too, but don't have one because it would be cruel to the fish because I only have a 30g and 55g. Check out liveaquaria.com in the nano SW fish section and there are colorful options listed there. With a small tank like a 30g, the fish are going to be smaller. But that doesn't mean they're not pretty. Check out that site and you'll see some pretty options. :)

I'm looking at :

Long nose hawk fish
A pair I wild neon blue gobies
An algae blenny
And a Catalina goby

They all fit and I was thinking an engineer goby I saw one at the lfs and he looked like an eel . So I kinda want him but minmum tank size is 55 .

Oh ya and also a mandarin not sure if I want a blue or a spotted? The spotted are smaller at my lfs

Possibly a Pygmy angel will he nip at my corals a lot? I have only polyps

Possibly a Pygmy angel will he nip at my corals a lot? I have only polyps

Dwarf angels are hit or miss in regards to eating coral. I had a different type of dwarf angel that ate just about every type of coral. But there are other people whose angels haven't touched a coral. It just depends on the individual fish, actually. 50/50 chance. Are you a betting man? Haha. :)

Ill try him I only have 2 groups of polyps so if anything I can take the angel back or just it'll eat the corals and ill go back to FOWLR I feed flakes in the AM and brine at night if I feed a lot he should be fine right

I found another fish that real pretty the tanaka a Pygmy wrasse I'm going to my lfs Wednesday I will ask for them to order a long nose hawk fish cause they are going up to get a whole bunch of fish and that's the one fish I mainly want besides the tanaka

Fox face -no
Long nose butterfly- no
Yellow tang- no
And my fav a green mandarin- and no.

You will stress all those larger fish to death in a short time, and you will starve the mandarin, refugium or not.

I have a tank loaded with pods it's a 2 gallon how do I get pods from the small tank to the big tank

A 2 gallon tank full of pods will last about a week, maybe. They are constantly eating, and are definitely not for small tanks. People used to say 1 mandarin for every 100 pounds of live rock.

Back
Top Bottom