Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

30 gallon stocking

So I've had a 30 gallon for about 4 months now so far I have a true perv clown , bangai cardinal, fire fish and an assortment of polyp corals
I'd like to add
Fox face
Long nose butterfly
Yellow tang
And my fav a green mandarin
Ii know they are all a bit big but if my filtration is good coul they live ?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think you could do them all I am afraid, but if you have got good filtration you could do one maybe? How old is the tank? The mandarin will work if you have an established tank. As for the others def not the tang. Butterflies are for advanced aquarists and will nip at corals. It is a reef tank? I have no experience with the fox face but on paper they require bigger tanks

Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

The tank is 3-4 months and has about 40-50 pods on glass daily and the long nose is supposed to be a beginner butterfly
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm sorry but I have a 34g tank too and it looks like only the mandarin can thrive in your tank, others are for 100g+ tank..
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you look at YouTube vid there is 30 gallon tanks with yellow tangs sailfins and fox faces so what are they doing that keeps them alive?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I mean at least 75g tank, they can reach sizes to 8 inches on adult stage...they'll get stress out in a small tank and will easily get disease when stressed..
Old 02-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should! I think you might find that people who keep massive fish in tiny tanks doesn't last long term. +1 to the above, small quarters lead to stress which leads to disease. Save your money and the fishes health, choose a fish that can live its life long and happy in your tank
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

We have a 100 gallon we are about to so if needed once cycles complete I can add a fish to it I'm looking at the fox face but I've read they are reef safe with caution.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, none of those fish will work in a 30g, really. The mandarin can technically fit, but unless its trained to eat frozen or pellet, it'll quickly eat all the pods in a tank that small and then starve to death. All the other fish need much bigger tanks. There may very well be videos of small tanks with tangs in them, but that doesn't mean that tank is still doing well now. That could be a brief snapshot of how the tank looked that particular day. Tangs get ich very easily if stressed, and the. All the fish will get it and could wipe out the whole tank. Tangs need a lot of swimming space. There are fish that would work in a 30g. Check out chalk bass, royal grammas, a six line wrasse. There are lots of gobies that would work. Check out liveaquaria.com in the nano section.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

We had a royal gramma that died of iCh in our 55 and I had an algae blenny tht just died I'd like another and I live in the florida keys so I can catch a chalk bass if needed and could I keep a reef butterfly , a four eye, or a Spotfin butterfly ? There is a lot of them out now since the waters cold ..

Tags
30 gallon, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com