I'm planning on setting up a saltwater tank again FOWLR
(not a lot of live rock tho, $$$). (Years ago 17, I was in the hobby big time. I even had for 5yrs a aquarium service business)
My plan is to have;
1) a canister/barrel filled with 20L of matrix.
2) a few canisters each with the appropriate (1L per 100g) amount of De-Nitrate in them dialed below 50gph.
3) possibly a few FBSF (reason a few, is due to cabinet height, throwing sand, & 2lbs per 100g)
4) a few sumps, one @ 8' long approx for just growing Chaeto on reverse lighting,
5) two skimmers on a rotated cleaning sched, (I happen to have 2 old (17yrs) red sea skimmers), & I plan on making 2 LG, pin wheel, recirculating, cone skimmers .
6) Purigen on recharging rotation -100ml per 100g,
7) filter socks rotating every 2-3 days,
8) & a fish load of approximately 1" per 4-5gal. (2 Triggers Huma & Niger, 3 tangs Clown, Blonde Naso & a yellow, 1 Emperor Angel, 1 Flame angel, & 1 bubble tip w/2 Ocellaris) & if i can also a Powder blue tang & Queen Angel.
8) possibly eventually some corals that wouldn't get eaten. I happen to love Electric Green star polyps, pulsating Xenia & Birds nest corals.
The tank size will be either 350g or 500g, 8'L x 23" H x 36"or 54" D, a friend owns a Lg glass business, "mistake" tempered glass on the cheap.
The biggest issue is, I need to keep costs down, way down, I'm a "starving artist " & I don't see that changing. Saltwater changes can be expensive. If I was to only do a water change of 25g ea week, is having a smaller tank better or larger? Can i get away with only a 25g WC
weekly? Thoughts are, a smaller tank, great filtration, & higher % of water changed out. Where as a larger tank, still great filtration & it has a lower concentration per gal
What's your opinion of the plan & the best tank size? Anything you would change?