36 gal bow face fowlr first time ever what do i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kodvenom

Aquarium Advice Regular
So so far I have added live sand and the salt water and have it cycling what now please any help?

What else should I add I have a filter that the pet store recremended and a heater and its just going empty with no live rock or anything what other equipment do I need?

You need to add live rock for starters, Around 30 pounds should do it. Then you should get a book on how to keep a saltwater aquarium and do plenty of research. You will need a powerhead (possibly 2) a refractometer for measuring salinity, saltwater test kits, a ro-di system for making water (no tap water here I am afraid) buckets for mixing water, extra heater/powerhead for mixing water.
what kind of filter is it? What kind of lighting do you have? What are you future plans for the tank? Once you have all these things you can start your cycle, which could take about 4 weeks, then it's time for fish :)

I just need the pOwerhead to circulate water right i can only afford maybe 6lb of live rock ATM I saw this fossilized reef rock at pet smart can I add some of that? Is fake decor ok with bubbles? I have a coral life actinic t8 fluorescent 17 w 24"

No bubbles or fake decor in salt water in my opinion! adding live rock later may stall the cycle or cause a mini cycle. You could add dry/base rock later if you have to. You will have a better cycle with rock, more proud places for you BB to live. Yes, raw shrimp can get the cycle started. Do get a book tho, best piece of equipment I own, I refer to it daily...

No bubbles or fake decor in salt water in my opinion! adding live rock later may stall the cycle or cause a mini cycle. You could add dry/base rock later if you have to. You will have a better cycle with rock, more proud places for you BB to live. Yes, raw shrimp can get the cycle started. Do get a book tho, best piece of equipment I own, I refer to it daily...

What is a bb? Sorry

Oh the bacteria I'm dumb lol

Ok I put about 6 lb for now did a water test everytgong is 0 except .25 ppm ammonia

Oh btw the sand had live bb in it and I bought fully cycled rock 9$ a lb fml

Wow I need to not post 38585625184 times I put in this submergable circulation pump rated for a 50 gal really turns the water

So I had everything tested and there is still tht small mount of ammonia .24 ppm or whatever very very low I was thinking of adding either 2 turbo snails or 1 turbo and 1 demsal after I test my water again tomorrow and if its alright do you think it's safe to add ?

I would wait for 0 ammonia and if it was me I wouldn't get a damsel - they are nasty and hard to remove when you don't want em anymore...

Alright after it hits 00 ppm turbo snails ok? Thanks for all your help

Yeah, try not to add too much clean up crew early, they won't have a lot to eat until you start adding fish. What kind of livestock were you thinking? Did I ask before is it going to be reef or fowler?

Yeah, try not to add too much clean up crew early, they won't have a lot to eat until you start adding fish. What kind of livestock were you thinking? Did I ask before is it going to be reef or fowler?

It's a fowlr this is first time ever I'm not sure what livestock I'm going to go with. Wanted possibly a lionfish setup but I figured that was advanced category.

Yeah unfortunately lionfish are too big for your set up. Check out liveaquaria.com for fish sizes and compatibility. While your cycling its the perfect time to research your stock list and their needs...

Yeah unfortunately lionfish are too big for your set up. Check out liveaquaria.com for fish sizes and compatibility. While your cycling its the perfect time to research your stock list and their needs...

The little research I have done I think ill put a turbo snail in there a clown fish pair dragnet. Goby and some shrimp for starters and go from there think I might try a starfish As well maybe a blenny and a crAb and go from there people keep telling me to add raw shrimp for the cycle and that seems stupid to me and damsels I have heard bad stories of them for beginner fish just like in the previous post

Cycling with a raw shrimp is the better way to do it, with a fish is cruel even if damsels are mean! I would wait for the dragonet, they would need an established tank and are difficult eaters.go for the clowns first up, can't go wrong

Back
Top Bottom