Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I'm in the same position. I'm buying a 300g tank next march since that's when we're moving, and have a shark egg that's hatching soon. Some people might say that first comes the tank, then the fish but if something terrible happens and I cannot purchase the tank (I already have more than half saved up), then I'll give the shark to a friend who has a 200g for temporary safekeeping.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just because you study something for years doesn't mean you have every single angle covered... im not truly to tell you what to do or even tell you what's right and wrong ...im simply voicing my opinion on the matter.. for instance what happens if you don't ultimately get the 320 up and running?? Do you have an alternative plan for your triggers? Sometimes trying to help out or voice your opinion means disagreeing with someone...id just hate to see you stuck in a bind if something were to not go as planned

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:19 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Just because you study something for years doesn't mean you have every single angle covered... im not truly to tell you what to do or even tell you what's right and wrong ...im simply voicing my opinion on the matter.. for instance what happens if you don't ultimately get the 320 up and running?? Do you have an alternative plan for your triggers? Sometimes trying to help out or voice your opinion means disagreeing with someone...id just hate to see you stuck in a bind if something were to not go as planned
I understand where you are coming from, but studying a select species does make a lot of difference when caring for that species, it gives the aquarist a head start on preparing for the fish and their life in that tank.

I have a back-up plan for this tank, as every serious hobbyist should. The 350G is going to be custom built by myself and 2 other students. This new tank is going to be my ongoing Junior to Senior project. The university is letting me use the 500G qt tank in case i need help with a over aggressive trigger till a more suitable fish of the same species can be found. There are plans to even make the tank a 550G if i decide to house a Queen and Hawaiian black.

I hope i didn't come across harsh, and i apologize if i did. I sometimes get very sensitive with my tanks when it come to defending the size. I do however appreciate the advice.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
Yeah I'm in the same position. I'm buying a 300g tank next march since that's when we're moving, and have a shark egg that's hatching soon. Some people might say that first comes the tank, then the fish but if something terrible happens and I cannot purchase the tank (I already have more than half saved up), then I'll give the shark to a friend who has a 200g for temporary safekeeping.
What type of shark? I love the marbled cats.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrolP

What type of shark? I love the marbled cats.
It's a coral banded cat shark. I cannot wait for it to hatch!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Very nice, what substrate are you using?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

When it first hatches, I'm going to keep it in a large plastic container with no substrate until it begins eating well and gets accustomed to living lol then it's going into a 75g with aragonite substrate, then the 300g will probably have pool filter sand.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb
When it first hatches, I'm going to keep it in a large plastic container with no substrate until it begins eating well and gets accustomed to living lol then it's going into a 75g with aragonite substrate, then the 300g will probably have pool filter sand.
I've decided to go with the eppaulete shark.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No I def understand. Never had the intentions of upsetting you. Just disagreeing like 2 adults should be able to being g that you have a bigger tank in the works with an even bigger tank available in case of issues, id say you have a good gameplan setup. Again did t mean to sound ignorant or rude, was just trying to get a point across. And obviously of main concern, didn't want to see you in a bind.
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

I've decided to go with the eppaulete shark.
Those things get huge! Make sure to get the Papua new guinea one since they stay smaller. I would love to see pictures of it when you get it!

Tags
clown, lionfish, niger, tan, trigger, triggerfish, undulate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com