Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

4 Triggerfish...1 Tank.

Hello,

I have just purchased a 2" undulated triggerfish and would like some feedback and tips if there is any fellow Triggerfish fans who have kept 4+ triggerfish in a single tank.

I have given a lot of thought into this tank and its equipment and design. I have sold all my other fish except 2 to make room for the triggers. All trigger species have been hand picked for little aggression towards each other. I have 3 other triggers that include a 6'' Clown 4'' Picasso 3'' Niger, a 5" Lionfish and a 3" stars and stripes puffer. I know it may seem to be cramped in some peoples opinions, but the tank will be fine for the next 2 years with no more added fish. I absolutely love triggerfish and have been planning on this for many years and am currently drafting my plans for acrylic 350G FOWLR tank which i will be building, that will house the 4 triggers listed above as well as 2 more. Photos will be added soon!! Please feel free to ask questions!

125G FOWLR
75G SUMP
(4) 96W CORALIFE WITH (2) 250W METAL HALIDE
(4) KORALIA 1400 POWERHEADS
(1)SUPER REEF OCTOPUS XP1000 PROTEIN SKIMMER
(2) DEEP BLUE SEA 9W UV STERILIZERS
180 LBS PREMIUM LIVE ROCK MIXED WITH 35 LBS OF TONGA
(1) PHOSPHATE REACTOR
(2) EMPEROR 400 HOB FILTERS
(1) FLUVAL 405 CANISTER FILTER
(1) MAGNUM 350 CANISTER FILTER

* sump has a 36w pc light and has 50 lbs of live rock,caulerpa and chaeto.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is a lottt of filtration lol

Old 10-18-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Holy god it is. I was gonna say i wouldnt do that but with no aggression ur good. haha
Old 10-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think that the undulate trigger will become extremely aggressive in a small amount of time in that tank. I think instead of an undulate trigger, you could've gone with a bluejaw trigger but other than that, I don't see how it wouldn't be possible.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd bring the undulate back! He is eventually going to kill are hurt everything in the tank! I had one in my 90 gallon and he turned physco and almost killed my puffer witch was three times his size

I love the triggers too but that is a fish that is kept by itself in a large tank! But in my own opinion I'd bring him back cause he will bring u more problems in the long run since he is gonna be in a tank with 3 other triggers they will fight for space and hurt each other.

But I'd bring it back if it's an option to u
Old 10-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherbomb View Post
I think that the undulate trigger will become extremely aggressive in a small amount of time in that tank. I think instead of an undulate trigger, you could've gone with a bluejaw trigger but other than that, I don't see how it wouldn't be possible.
I have heard all the above about the undulate trigger. I have owned 2 that have been returned to the LFS for being too aggressive. The triggerfish i have now has been hand selected out of 10 due to its extremely shy temperament, he is being watched 24/7. If he does not work out i will return him and get a Queen. A blueJaw trigger would be a poor choice for a predator tank of this caliber and would be easily outcompeted for food by the larger more aggressive triggers. The upward angle of its jaw and teeth are not suited for fighting at all and a quick death would be certain. The undulate trigger is 2'' which leave a substantial growth difference between the picasso and clown. The
niger is growing quickly and if the undulate started to grow more rapidly than expected i will try rearranging the rock work and QT if need be. You guys are great!! I will keep yal posted!!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarcomb View Post
I'd bring the undulate back! He is eventually going to kill are hurt everything in the tank! I had one in my 90 gallon and he turned physco and almost killed my puffer witch was three times his size

I love the triggers too but that is a fish that is kept by itself in a large tank! But in my own opinion I'd bring him back cause he will bring u more problems in the long run since he is gonna be in a tank with 3 other triggers they will fight for space and hurt each other.

But I'd bring it back if it's an option to u
I am aware of the nature of this fish as i have researched the species before i buy. I agree with you and i will monitor its behavior. However i have made sure the triggers that are in the tank a distinctly different in color and shape. The Clown and Undulate are of the same family Balistidae so that may be a future problem. The Clown trigger is nearing 7" and i feel will hold his own, but you never know. Monitoring is key in this type of tank setup.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick93 View Post
That is a lottt of filtration lol
Thank Bud, I'm actually selling the magnum and fluval and emperor 400's and getting a pair of Fluval FX5 canisters. Gotta save a little space ya know!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not just get the queen? They are beautiful fish lol. But I guess it could work out if the one you get is extremely shy. Just remember these fish are crazy lol.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh i know brother! Triggers are the bipolar fish of the sea haha. Just always make sure the fish in the tank can hold their own and has plenty of room and hiding spaces. Undulate triggers are very cavernous fish. I have constructed most of the rock work by suspending the rocks on tonga to create caves and holes and providing crush coral to make into nests. If you can get your hands on some tonga you can basically create the ideal trigger environment. I will try to post pictures of the rock work as soon as possible. Thanks!

Tags
clown, lionfish, niger, tan, trigger, triggerfish, undulate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com