4 Triggerfish in 1 Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErrolP

Aquarium Advice Activist
4 Triggerfish...1 Tank.

Hello,

I have just purchased a 2" undulated triggerfish and would like some feedback and tips if there is any fellow Triggerfish fans who have kept 4+ triggerfish in a single tank.

I have given a lot of thought into this tank and its equipment and design. I have sold all my other fish except 2 to make room for the triggers. All trigger species have been hand picked for little aggression towards each other. I have 3 other triggers that include a 6'' Clown 4'' Picasso 3'' Niger, a 5" Lionfish and a 3" stars and stripes puffer. I know it may seem to be cramped in some peoples opinions, but the tank will be fine for the next 2 years with no more added fish. I absolutely love triggerfish and have been planning on this for many years and am currently drafting my plans for acrylic 350G FOWLR tank which i will be building, that will house the 4 triggers listed above as well as 2 more. Photos will be added soon!! Please feel free to ask questions!

125G FOWLR
75G SUMP
(4) 96W CORALIFE WITH (2) 250W METAL HALIDE
(4) KORALIA 1400 POWERHEADS
(1)SUPER REEF OCTOPUS XP1000 PROTEIN SKIMMER
(2) DEEP BLUE SEA 9W UV STERILIZERS
180 LBS PREMIUM LIVE ROCK MIXED WITH 35 LBS OF TONGA
(1) PHOSPHATE REACTOR
(2) EMPEROR 400 HOB FILTERS
(1) FLUVAL 405 CANISTER FILTER
(1) MAGNUM 350 CANISTER FILTER

* sump has a 36w pc light and has 50 lbs of live rock,caulerpa and chaeto.

Last edited:
I think that the undulate trigger will become extremely aggressive in a small amount of time in that tank. I think instead of an undulate trigger, you could've gone with a bluejaw trigger but other than that, I don't see how it wouldn't be possible.

I'd bring the undulate back! He is eventually going to kill are hurt everything in the tank! I had one in my 90 gallon and he turned physco and almost killed my puffer witch was three times his size

I love the triggers too but that is a fish that is kept by itself in a large tank! But in my own opinion I'd bring him back cause he will bring u more problems in the long run since he is gonna be in a tank with 3 other triggers they will fight for space and hurt each other.

But I'd bring it back if it's an option to u

I think that the undulate trigger will become extremely aggressive in a small amount of time in that tank. I think instead of an undulate trigger, you could've gone with a bluejaw trigger but other than that, I don't see how it wouldn't be possible.

I have heard all the above about the undulate trigger. I have owned 2 that have been returned to the LFS for being too aggressive. The triggerfish i have now has been hand selected out of 10 due to its extremely shy temperament, he is being watched 24/7. If he does not work out i will return him and get a Queen. A blueJaw trigger would be a poor choice for a predator tank of this caliber and would be easily outcompeted for food by the larger more aggressive triggers. The upward angle of its jaw and teeth are not suited for fighting at all and a quick death would be certain. The undulate trigger is 2'' which leave a substantial growth difference between the picasso and clown. The
niger is growing quickly and if the undulate started to grow more rapidly than expected i will try rearranging the rock work and QT if need be. You guys are great!! I will keep yal posted!!

I'd bring the undulate back! He is eventually going to kill are hurt everything in the tank! I had one in my 90 gallon and he turned physco and almost killed my puffer witch was three times his size

I love the triggers too but that is a fish that is kept by itself in a large tank! But in my own opinion I'd bring him back cause he will bring u more problems in the long run since he is gonna be in a tank with 3 other triggers they will fight for space and hurt each other.

But I'd bring it back if it's an option to u

I am aware of the nature of this fish as i have researched the species before i buy. I agree with you and i will monitor its behavior. However i have made sure the triggers that are in the tank a distinctly different in color and shape. The Clown and Undulate are of the same family Balistidae so that may be a future problem. The Clown trigger is nearing 7" and i feel will hold his own, but you never know. Monitoring is key in this type of tank setup.

Why not just get the queen? They are beautiful fish lol. But I guess it could work out if the one you get is extremely shy. Just remember these fish are crazy lol.

Oh i know brother! Triggers are the bipolar fish of the sea haha. Just always make sure the fish in the tank can hold their own and has plenty of room and hiding spaces. Undulate triggers are very cavernous fish. I have constructed most of the rock work by suspending the rocks on tonga to create caves and holes and providing crush coral to make into nests. If you can get your hands on some tonga you can basically create the ideal trigger environment. I will try to post pictures of the rock work as soon as possible. Thanks!

No problem. I would love to see a full tank shot lol. I have two triggers myself; a Picasso and a bluejaw. They're really docile.

Save herself the hassle and bring it back from my own exp it will not turn out good mine was smaller than the rest when I added him and he still dominated the tank.

And I tryed to bring it back and they won't take him cause of how aggressive they are

Save herself the hassle and bring it back from my own exp it will not turn out good mine was smaller than the rest when I added him and he still dominated the tank.

And I tryed to bring it back and they won't take him cause of how aggressive they are

I appreciate the advice, but I've heard stories of less docile undulated triggers and have a friend who's had one in a community predator tank for 7 years. Most triggers display a lot of the same temperament but there are a few rare exceptions. I do have a alternative tank if this trigger acts up.

I'd love to see a full tank pic as well! I love triggers and I hope it works for you! Seems like you know what you're doing haha

Well i'd love to see it and good luck to you..i would never do it in a 125

Thanks, I've gotten some grief from some people about the current tank size being too small, but triggers are not like tangs and spend most of the day hiding and cruising around caves, not that much grazing. Plus this tank will only be housing the triggers until the 350G is done,which will be around next December.

I have both a 5" Picasso and a 6" niger and they everything but stand still....always constantly moving. I too am gonna have to agree that 4 triggers in a 125 is way too cramped, only given the fact that 2 of them are notorious for being uber crazy. In terms of the queen trigger, PLEASE make sure you research it first....that's one massive trigger

I have both a 5" Picasso and a 6" niger and they everything but stand still....always constantly moving. I too am gonna have to agree that 4 triggers in a 125 is way too cramped, only given the fact that 2 of them are notorious for being uber crazy. In terms of the queen trigger, PLEASE make sure you research it first....that's one massive trigger

Im sorry but i don't not agree that 125G is way too cramped. I have done my research on the species and have owned triggers for more than 8+ years and have been studying them in a lab for the past year. With the sizes right NOW of the triggerfish in the tank the 125G provides more than enough room for swimming space and hiding places. As i have said in the past 4 or so replies i am aware of the aggressive nature of the species in the tank. Undulate triggers are more cavernous and like to be around rocks or wedge themselves between them and by providing a massive amount of hiding spaces this will put a damper on him being aggressive towards the other triggers not to mention there will be a 3 to 4 inch size difference between the undulate and the other triggers. The Clown will become more stationary when it gains size. The Niger displays a lot of the same qualities of the undulate except for the level of aggressiveness. The Picasso does graze a lot but i am providing 6 ft of swimming room and even with 4 triggers that is fine for a year. If you have read the above replies i am only holding the triggers in this tank for a year. The 350G will be done in probably less than a year.

Yeah I agree, right now the tank is not cramped, and if you're planning a 350g within a year- year and a half you're fine.

Yeah I agree, right now the tank is not cramped, and if you're planning a 350g within a year- year and a half you're fine.

Thanks, it actually will be done around next August. I can't stand when people make comments about tank sizes without reading the thread. I can understand if the person is ridiculously overstocked, but it seems a lot of people just want to put in their 2 cents about overstocking and to be honest most of the people that make those comments have no idea what a suitable tank size even is. Thats what drives alot of knowledgable hobbyists away from forums. Its a shame we could use their actually relevant advice.

Back
Top Bottom