40 G Fowler to add soft corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forzaazzurri

Aquarium Advice Activist
Most of you were correct that I would not be happy with just a fowler tank.
I want to add beginner coral such softies and mushrooms.

I understand more flow is needed. I do have a powerful LED aquarium light with blue light added.

Is there something else that I am missing ?
How important is testing phosphates, magnesium, calcium, alkalinity etc ?
Are there extra chemicals/food that are needed for beginner coral ?
Anything else ?
Many Thanks

First off, you say you have a powerful LED........ What kind/brand?? Just to be sure.....

Phosphates & Nitrates become important tests, even for softies. Most of them can handle "dirtier" conditions, but only to a limited extent.

Calcium, Alkalinity, & Magnesium aren't as important, but testing would still be advisable just to be sure your balance is good. And, knowing the tests & parameters will help you when you move up to LPS & SPS, which you eventually will, I can about guarantee it.

All "beginner" (and most advanced) corals are photosynthetic..... meaning they get what they need from a combination of light & dissolved nutrients in the water column. There are many that will accept food, but it's not necessary. In fact, attempting to feed corals is where many usually overfeed their system and wind up creating far greater problems with excess nutrients (phosphates) & algae.

I have 2 x 36 LEDs units that measure over 1000 lux at 1 meter distance for lighting. I have a hexagonal shaped tank so it is thin but deep.

Back
Top Bottom