Originally Posted by newbie321
so i want to start a 40 gallon fowlr
tank ive been keeping freshwater tanks for a long time so this is my firsts saltwater tank i need to know everything, setup how to cycle the tank, stocking options, everything i need to start a 40 gallon fowlr
Depends on whether or not you'd like to do a fish in cycle or fish less (preferred because you don't have to expose any fish to the toxic ammonia ect + you don't have to do tons of water changes as opposed to when you are cycling with fish)
Several people use raw shrimp as an ammonia source or you can pick up liquid ammonia and dose it .
Google different cycling methods and I'm sure you will find one that works for you .
As far as other things needed
- a tank obviously + top (for jumpers )
- powerheads (for flow)
- live rock or base rock or both ( most people use mostly base and some live rock to seed it because it's cheaper and much easier to work with )
- lighting (if it's only FOWLR
it's only to light the tank)
- a cuc (clean up crew) such as snails and crabs ect (optional)
-mechanical filter + filter media (unless you only want to use the LR
for bio filtration )
-livestock + food
- cleaning accessories (magnet scraper ect
There are lots of optional things you can add to make your tank better of course such as
- protein skimmer ( that skims the organic waste from the water )
- water changer system
water (most say a must
And the list goes on and on
What kind of fish are you interested in ? Peaceful ? Aggressive ? Any specifics ?