40 lbs live rock for...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would anyone pay $125 for 40 lbs of live rock from an established tank? I know it seems cheap, but is it worth the possible risks?

If the tank was properly maintained, it will be better live rock than you will get from anywhere else, at half the cost. If it wasn't properly maintained, and coveted in hair algae or Aptasia, then....yeah, not worth it.
I would only do it, if I could look at it first.

If you are buying it from craigslist you probably want to really examine the rock first. You don't want any aipastia anemones or bad critters like mantis shrimp or even flatworms.

In my area of Florida live rock on craigslist usually goes for about $3 a lb so the price sounds right.

Nice thanks! I also don't have a scale to bring around with me haha does this look like its about 40 lbs? It does to me, I just want a 2nd opinion!

image-3644455144.jpg

Yep, that looks about right for 40lbs.

It looks to be dense rock though, what you ideally want is porous rock for the beneficial bacteria to be able to adhere to and for critters to live in. I would take a look at it in person, don't be afraid to say no if you go and the rock doesn't look great.

It is hard to tell from the pic...the stuff higher up in the tank looks nice and porous. I agree with Carey though. See it in person and if any of it isn't nice and full of holes, it'd be a no go...unless he'd deal for the good stuff for a much lower price.

Also looks like there is some hair algae and some Cyano. Just take a good look, maybe he'll sell you only the pieces you want?

Thanks for everyone's help... He's gonna send me some closer pics of the rock, and ill post them so maybe take another look when I do?? Thanks!

Ok check it out... He said he actually has about 55 lbs, and I can pick out what 40-45 lbs I want... Looks a little better up close IMO..

image-965859341.jpg

Yeah, looks pretty good. There is a little hair algae though. Scrub it really good with a toothbrush, in some tank or RO/DI water, before you put it in your tank.
Looks like nice rock, though!

Nice thanks for the advice. I would imagine to dump that RO/DI water I scrub it with out afterwards? Sorry, first tank! :cool:

Benamayer said:
Nice thanks for the advice. I would imagine to dump that RO/DI water I scrub it with out afterwards? Sorry, first tank! :cool:

Yeah, just dump it when your done, you don't want that stuff!
Good luck with it :)

Back
Top Bottom