45G Hex tank lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warpig

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of researching the final deployment of my 45G hex tank. I am going to be doing a FOWLR using a "package" consisting of Tampa Bay LR. After doing much research, it seems that I can expect quite a variety of life in this particular LR and was wondering what the best lighting would be for my situation. I have no desire to get into corals heavily in the beginning but do want to provide adequate lighting for the various types of sealife I can expect to come with the Tampa Bay LR. My tank is 12-1/2" on a side, 6 six sides total, and 23-1/2" in height. The light that came with the tank is a 20" strip light with a single 18" flourescent tube included. This appears to be the largest light fixture that will fit across the top of the tank and not hang off the sides. I have a feeling this is going to be inadequate and would appreciate any suggestions and/or comments. Thanks in advance for your help and look forward to some positive feedback.

Chuck

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

Due to the odd size a depth of the tank, you will quite honestly be restricted from many of the standard types of pre-made lighting. For the depth though, a 175w or even 250w MH pendant light would probabley be your best bet. It will not look as cumbersome as a standard hood and if just for the rock, the 175w will be plenty. If you opt for the 250w, you would also be able to keep corals.. I do not think you could DIY power quad PC's well enough to get what you need but you could look into that as well.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve-S for the welcome! This light, 20" 1x96W Coralife Aqualight CF hood w/ Quad 50/50 -Square Pin, has been suggested as a good compromise for someone not getting heavily into corals but wanting to provide enough light for any hitch hikers who might make it through. Any comments appreciated.

Chuck

If you are refering to >>this one<<, it will have quite an overhang once incorporated into a hood of some type. The light strip and end cap measure 18.5" so you would have a 3-4" overage on each side. It would be enough to support the coralline but I doubt it will support many of the hitchikers unless they are at the very low end of the lighting "scale". If the coralline on the rock is your main concern, these light may be enough but a 175w MH pendant would be about $50.00 more and give you much better results... It's your choice 8)

Cheers
Steve

Let's see if I can do this link thing. >>This<< is the light I am talking about. It should fit over the tank nicely and I believe i will go with the legs to suspend the light above the glass top slightly. Thanks you for your input and the Halo pendant is still a good option for me considering where I am mounting the tank.

Chuck

DOH!! :oops: I did not clue into this part.
Warpig said:
The light that came with the tank is a 20" strip light
The light you linked to is the same as I was talking about, it is just with a hood and not a retro. They are both 96w power quad lights.

Warpig said:
has been suggested as a good compromise for someone not getting heavily into corals but wanting to provide enough light for any hitch hikers who might make it through
This light will not do want you want if you get coral hitchikers. As I said, this will be enough for the coralline on the rock but depending on what hitchikers you get, it will not support much anything else. At a 24" depth, it just won't have enough penetration.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom