46 Gallon Bowfront starting up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shroom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey
I'm going to be getting a 46 gallon Bowfront (36x16x20) with the oak finish 8) for my birthday (november 20th) and i was just wondering if my list of equipment and stocking list looked ok..

-Kent Marine 35 GPD HI-S RO/DI unit
-Eheim Jager TS 100 watt Heater
-60lbs Fiji Live Rock
-60lbs Kenyan Live sand
CPR Bakpak 2R Skimmer w/Maxijet Jet Pump (didn't want to have to MOD anything for a hang on skimmer)
- maxjet 1200 powerhead
- 20" Aqualight 96W, 50/50 PC lights
- 46 Gallon Bowfront (of course)
- PH test kits etc...
-Blue Refractometer

and for a stocking list:
(1) Flame Angelfish
(1) Six-line Wrasse
(1) Firefish
(1) Neon Goby
(10) Blue Legged Hermit Crabs (for cleaning the sand)
(2) Super Tongan Nassarius Snails (for cleaning the sand)

I think that list looks great. Good equipement choices esp the RO/DI unit. And your stocking list looks good. Your lighting looks good for a FOWLR tank but will not be enough if you ever go reef. Your lighting is not as long as your tank so`you`ll have dark ends on both sides if the 20" you stated is correct.

By the way , Welcome to the addiction.

Welcome!

I'm a month in to starting up a 46g bowfront also and have a couple comments...

You might think about (2) Maxijet 900 PHs instead of just (1) Maxijet 1200. With only one powerhead, you're going to have a hard time getting good circulation. Two smaller ones will allow you to have them at opposite ends of the tank.

Agree with melosu... maybe it was just a typo, but I'd go with the 36" Aqualights. Not only will you have complete coverage for the tank, the Coralife fixtures want to be support on the ends of the tank. The brackets that they make won't reach if you're putting a 20" fixture on a 36" tank. Granted, you can rig something up yourself, but I'd just go with the correct size fixture to start with.

Don't forget snails for cleaning the rock/glass. I'd back off on the hermits and add more turban or trochus snails. You're going to want those diatom eaters way before you're concerned about the sand sifters!

Have fun!

hara, can you please elaborate on this? i am interested in the spraybar method. thanks! please pm if im hijacking the thread. ;)

Wow that was quick!

Thanks for the help people. Ok so i'll get the 36'' 96 W 50/50 instead and 2 maxjet 900's, also i'm think i may get a fuge for growing algae for the angel, would a 5-10 gallon fuge be ok?

Back
Top Bottom