500 CA level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys just switched over to a different salt mix and my Ca level is @ 500. I was just wondering if I should worry about it being so high? Especially for coral?

It`s a little on the high side but you`ll be OK. Mine runs around 480. A few PWC`s should bring it back around. I dont think it`s worth worrying about. JMO

Yeah I only did a 20% water change but this weekend I'll do my next PWC and see what happens... I can see the change in the salt mix and it looks great.

500 is fine and you will have nothing to worry about. Just make sure your Alkalinity is at the proper levels.

What kind of test kit did you test it with?

HHHMMMM, My Calcium level is still high and I just did a water change yesterday. Right now it's @ 520? Should start worrying?

What kind of salt mix are you using?

I just which over to Oceanic Salt mix This was my 2nd water change since then both were just 20% PWC. Not a big change but I think with the mixture of Calcium with the other salt mix and Oceanic is causing the High Calcium I believe.

I just which over to Oceanic Salt mix.
If you are worried about high ca, that's not the salt you want to use. Typically, Oceanic is the highest calcium content (around 580) salt out there and the ca/alk balance is out of whack. Alk is very low (usually around 8-9 dKH) for such a high ca level. What is your alk testing at?

Here's a general guide on chemistry levels in different brand salts.
Reef Central Online Community - A General Guide to Salt Mixes

If you are worried about high ca, that's not the salt you want to use. Typically, Oceanic is the highest calcium content (around 580) salt out there and the ca/alk balance is out of whack. Alk is very low (usually around 8-9 dKH) for such a high ca level. What is your alk testing at?

Here's a general guide on chemistry levels in different brand salts.
Reef Central Online Community - A General Guide to Salt Mixes

That's interesting that you said that on the Bucket it says my Calcium Should be about 480. But I am not really worried about my Calcium I did not know what would be to high for my Tank if anything if turns out to be that high it should help my corals grow especially if I start adding SPS corals. But I would have to check my Alk levels to see where I am at. The good this is my Mag should be High I should pick up those to test kits along with some others. I might just go out and get the whole Salifert Line of Test kits.

...if anything if turns out to be that high it should help my corals grow especially if I start adding SPS corals.

No... not necessarily. More calcium does not necessarily mean more growth.

But I would have to check my Alk levels to see where I am at.

Bingo. Once you start thinking about, or being concerned with Calcium, you really need to know your alkalinity levels. Calcium and alkalinity go hand in hand when it comes how your corals utilize it. I'll post some links when I get home tonight that may help out...

Kurt is right on.
You want to keep calcium between 380-450 ppm (having it higher does no good or no harm...to a point), alk between 7-11 dKH (both higher or lower can cause problems) and mag around 1300 ppm. Also, keep in mind that phosphate inhibits calcification, so if you have high phosphates it can/will prevent corals/coralline from growing. It all works hand in hand.

Here's the link to the RC Chemistry archives. You can find just about anything you may want to know there.
Reef Central Online Community Archives - Reef Chemistry Articles

Well my CA went down 2 480 I just check it I guess I have to let it settle down since I checked it 12hr after my water change on Saturday.

Hey tank
i am glad its working out for ya. i my self use to use oceanic salt my self because my local pet store only carried oceanic :( i now used premixed salt water.. i like it better. little more expensive but it works for me so far.

i have seen it at petco aswell
good luck and hope all works out for ya

Yeah Oceanic it's that bad just got to give it a chance I am just switching over so I have to work the kinks out of it. If all goes well in the next couple weeks I will stay with it. But I have faith it will all work out fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom