55 Gal saltwater newbie please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theman2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just purchased a 55gal tank with fluval 406 100gal

I'm looking to set this up... Do indeed protein skimmer? I know I need power head and aragonite.... I'm looking to stay away from live rock due to costs
Was planning on using fake decor and getting a lionfish, puffer. And wrasse.... Please help!

You NEED a tiny piece if LR and then base rock at least which is about half the cost of LR. LR is your main means of filtration.

You don't NEED a protein skimmer but it might be a good idea. A dwarf lionfish would work. I don't think a regular lionfish would be okay in a 55. And puffer you'll have to research. I know some can work in a 55 but others won't work in a 100. Wrasses are a good active addition. Idk if those are all compatible. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Ok thanks... I've traveled to some aquarium places over last few days and I keep seeing these nice expensive SW fish in tanks with fake decor and no rock... So I can run my fluval 406 on my 55gal add some live rock, aragonite or crushed coral and a power head and that would be efficient enough for me to own 3-5 fish including wrasses, puffer, lionfish?

This is great! Yes dwarf lion and dogface puffer... Ive never even owned a goldfish before and I really want to jump in the deep end here and go to saltwater set up ... I just picked up tank today and will be doing as much research as I can so I don't fail ... I'm not interested in those corals and reefs.... Just the fish....obv I want my tank to look amazing but using fake decor if possible

Let's see. Tank, some sort of sand or crushed coral, in a 50? I'd do at least 1 piece of LR and 30-50lbs base rock, power head, test kits for ph ammonia nitrite and nitrate, and some sort of light for viewing. Yup that would probably be enough for a FOWLR. As for the stocking, lion fish and puffer are messy. You could probably do a dwarf lion, a smaller puffer species, a wrasse and a couple other smaller fish if you kept up on water changes. But the stocking I'd get another opinion cause I'm not to good with it.

You can use fake decor but you need base rock as your filtration. And at least 1 piece if LR to seed it. Make sure you read the nitrogen cycle. And dogface puffers get too bug for a 55 but there are some smaller puffers. Read Alot before doing anything else. Trust me. Saltwater fish are much more sensitive. Don't skimp on anything. If you buy cheap it'll lead to problems in the long run.

I'm familiar with everything but the test kits... I now understand the salt levels and will be getting a hydrometer.... Can you go into detail on what the test kit does and what I need to do if the levels or results aren't accurate

Completely lost on the nitrate and ammonia... And I have decided on the base rock... I do know all about that... I will definitely be getting some LR, as I see everywhere that it's necessary for the tank.

HAVE:
Fluval 406
Heater

NEED:
Live rock
Base rock
Power head
Saltwater
Hydrometer

CURIOUS:
Protein skimmer
Test kit (no idea what this is)

So. Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0 if they're not your fish are in danger. It is mainly for making sure your cycle is done and your tank isnt doing a mini cycle. Nitrate should be kept as close to 0 as possible. Up to 20 I believe is exceptable levels for fish to handle. Nitrite and ammonia will stay down at 0 If you have enough LR/BR nitrate will slowly go up and you get it down by doing water changes.

Any other questions feel free to ask :) also I highly recommend you get close to 50lbs of LR/BR and idk about that filter but most filters are just nitrate factories and are best just left out of saltwater.

So the protein skimmer will help keep nitrates down but it's not needed for a 55. Test kits pretty much get them just to test weekly and make sure everything is on track. Also if anything starts going wrong first thing you want to do is make sure you test kits are saying everythings right.

So if I have 45-55lbs of LR and im cleaning my tank every week my nitrate level should be ok? If I see a rise in it that means i don't have enough LR or water needs to be changed? I'm told that this fluval 406 is one of the best out there....what do you mean filters left out of saltwater?

With 45-55 lbs of LR and a weekly water change you should be all good :) nitrate will go up but with that amount of liverock and weekly water changes it should stay low. Filters are usually not used with saltwater. The LR will filter everything. But some people put LR in their filters where the filter cartridge would go. Or bags of carbon ect.

So what's standard as far as filtration lets say for a tank my size? And also just for my knowledge 100gal tanks... I'm seeing some type of sump set up and the skimmers

So LR is the only filtration you need. 1-2 lbs of LR per gallon will give you all the filtration you need. Sumps and refugiums have kind of the same kind of concept. Add more water that will cycle to through the tank (the more water the more stable parameters will be). Also filter it. Sumps use skimmers. Refugiums use LR LS and plants.

I think the basic rule of thumb for skimmers is over 55 gallon should have one. Below that it's really up to you. If you have enough LR and keep up with maintnance you should be just fine without one.

Sump and refugium I'm not too familiar with I just know the basics of them.

So filtration for 55gal SW powerheads, and 55lbs live rock and about how much BR?

Theman2000 said:
So filtration for 55gal SW powerheads, and 55lbs live rock and about how much BR?

So are you using RO/RODI/distilled water and making your own saltwater? Or buying pre made? And the power head Creates the motion to keep the oxegeon in the water.

In a 55 gallon, The LR and BR added together should equal 55lbs or more.

BR turns into LR over time as long as there is some LR in the tank with it. LR will make the cycle go faster and make the tank established quicker. But BR is cheaper and does the trick it just takes longer for it to start working.

If i were you. I'd buy 10-20lbs LR and 40-50lbs BR. As long as you LR + BR = 50+lbs you'll be good :)

I have 15lbs extra in my 29 gal and close to 50lbs extra in my 90 gal it just keeps everything more stable and filtered :)

Well before I looked into it I filled my tank with tap water....now I know I can buy and actually have the water conditioner.... After reading I now know about the RO/DI water... Your recommendations for initial set-up? Seems like I should be placing the BR and LR first put about 27-28cups ocean salt and then fill with water.... The. When I'm doing my 5-10 gallon changes... Mix salt and water in bucket first then add to tank..

You never want to mix salt and water in your tank. Unless your tank is empty. You should mix it in a bucket and add it to the tank. Don't use tap water because it can have all sorts of bad stuff and can come in with already having nitrates.

What do you mean by are my recommendations for initial set up?

Back
Top Bottom