Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Haha yeah they can be jerks and they will eat shrimp as well. You could do the lawnmower over the other 2 blennies as well, they are really cool! Good luck with the tank keep updating!
Haha I'm sorry but, lawnmower?
I will! Thanks for your help!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry, the sailfin/algae blenny. I call them lawnmower blennies haha or the starry version both are very cool!

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Sorry, the sailfin/algae blenny. I call them lawnmower blennies haha or the starry version both are very cool!
Oh ok! Haha! Awesome! Well thanks again! Ill keep updating!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post
Oh ok! Haha! Awesome! Well thanks again! Ill keep updating!
No problem! Good luck!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have to say 20 fish for a 55 is to much. In my opinion you will be overstocked. I would cut that list to around 15.

I myself only have 5 fish in mine, and I am upgrading to a 120 in a month. I am picking up the tank today. It's a older 120 LONG tank so it's 5 foot by 18in wide. Even with that size I am not going to put 20 fish in. I might end up with about 10 fish.

I do have a some bigger fish, but some of the fish you want will get a good size once fully grown. Remember a lower stocked tank is easier to take care of! If you want to have that much fish, I am hopping you have a good Skimmer and Filter. Your going to need both!

Here is my suggestion! First get about 20 more pounds of live rock! It will help with your filtration! Than I would go with this!

Scissor tail dart fish - peaceful
Zebra barred dart fish - peaceful
Long nose hawk fish - semi agg. (I like a Flame Hawk more, very good looking fish, put your hawk fish 2nd to last in.)
Orchid dottyback - semi agg.
Sailfin/algae blenny - peaceful
Six line wrasse - semi aggressive (should be last fish in)
Royal gramma basslet - peaceful
Tail spotted blenny - peaceful
Zebra barred dotfish - peaceful
Bi color blenny - peaceful
Sleeper banded goby - peaceful (later one)
Spotted cardinal fish - peaceful (I would suggest a school, about 4. They thrive more with schools, plus they are a slow swimmer so anything aggressive might hurt them)

I took out the Wrasse because two Wrasse in a tank that size might fight, plus they will compete for food. I like the Six line more, but I would only go with one. I took out the clowns because you might not like how they swim. Mine stayed in one corner of the tank and never moved, and they decided to jump and kill themselves. :-(

Grant it, your putting smaller fish in the tank, but remember they do get bigger and I just don't think all the fish you want would go together well.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Read the thread he said he wasn't putting them all in, that's just a list of what he liked.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
I have to say 20 fish for a 55 is to much. In my opinion you will be overstocked. I would cut that list to around 15. I myself only have 5 fish in mine, and I am upgrading to a 120 in a month. I am picking up the tank today. It's a older 120 LONG tank so it's 5 foot by 18in wide. Even with that size I am not going to put 20 fish in. I might end up with about 10 fish. I do have a some bigger fish, but some of the fish you want will get a good size once fully grown. Remember a lower stocked tank is easier to take care of! If you want to have that much fish, I am hopping you have a good Skimmer and Filter. Your going to need both! Here is my suggestion! First get about 20 more pounds of live rock! It will help with your filtration! Than I would go with this! Scissor tail dart fish - peaceful Zebra barred dart fish - peaceful Long nose hawk fish - semi agg. (I like a Flame Hawk more, very good looking fish, put your hawk fish 2nd to last in.) Orchid dottyback - semi agg. Sailfin/algae blenny - peaceful Six line wrasse - semi aggressive (should be last fish in) Royal gramma basslet - peaceful Tail spotted blenny - peaceful Zebra barred dotfish - peaceful Bi color blenny - peaceful Sleeper banded goby - peaceful (later one) Spotted cardinal fish - peaceful (I would suggest a school, about 4. They thrive more with schools, plus they are a slow swimmer so anything aggressive might hurt them) I took out the Wrasse because two Wrasse in a tank that size might fight, plus they will compete for food. I like the Six line more, but I would only go with one. I took out the clowns because you might not like how they swim. Mine stayed in one corner of the tank and never moved, and they decided to jump and kill themselves. :-( Grant it, your putting smaller fish in the tank, but remember they do get bigger and I just don't think all the fish you want would go together well.
Do the wrasse have to be in pairs? I was just gonna get 1 but if they need another then that's the obvious elimination choice! Thanks for this advice! How's this list?

2 clown fish - peaceful
Carpenters flasher wrasse - peaceful
Clown gobby - citrinis - peaceful
Sailfin/algae blenny - peaceful eel

Quote:
Read the thread he said he wasn't putting them all in, that's just a list of what he liked.
it's all good!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post
Do the wrasse have to be in pairs? I was just gonna get 1 but if they need another then that's the obvious elimination choice! Thanks for this advice! How's this list?

2 clown fish - peaceful
Carpenters flasher wrasse - peaceful
Clown gobby - citrinis - peaceful
Sailfin/algae blenny - peaceful eel

it's all good!
The wrasse should be fine on his own. Also that list looks fine. Make sure to get clowns that are the same size.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
The wrasse should be fine on his own. Also that list looks fine. Make sure to get clowns that are the same size.
Awesome! Thanks! Will do!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, so back to fishless cycling.. I know it's normal for the water to get cloudy in a freshwater cycle... Is it normal in salt??

I have 2 tanks in my room.. A 20 gallon with 3 tigerbarbs and a BNP and then my 55g salt with no fish, just live rock and the 2 raw shrimp I have in there for the ammonia source. My room smelled horrific and both my tanks are cloudy. All of my barbs were dead, but I did a 50% water change yesterday, so I am draining that tank and putting my BNP in my bros 30 gallon for the time being. I'm sure that's why my 20 was foggy..

Now for the 55... Ever since I moved my rock around yesterday it has been the same fogginess because I kicked up a little sand in the process.. I thought it would settle again pretty quickly but it's still foggy. I can't tell if this one is the one that smells terribly or not since they are right next to each other.

Any thoughts?

My 55 params are this

Ammo: .25 ppm
Trites: 0 ppm
Trates: 0 ppm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com