Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

55 gallon

Now that my tank is up and running, and my fishless cycle is in progress, I've been putting together my stock list. On live aquaria.com it says most of these fish are peaceful. I can remove the semi agg. Ones if needed or not compatible and a few other if there's too many fish there. Suggestions are welcome!

Scissor tail dart fish - peaceful
2 clown fish - peaceful
Zebra barred dart fish - peaceful
Carpenters flasher wrasse - peaceful
(3-4) Fire fish - peaceful
Long nose hawk fish - semi agg.
Orchid dottyback - semi agg.
Clown gobby - citrinis - peaceful
Sailfin/algae blenny - peaceful
Six line wrasse - semi aggressive
Royal gramma basslet - peaceful
Tail spotted blenny - peaceful
Zebra barred dotfish - peaceful
Bi color blenny - peaceful
Sleeper banded goby - peaceful
Spotted cardinal fish - peaceful

The Next thing I wanna get listed is a clean up crew if I need one! I need suggestions for some crabs, snails, hermits, etc... I've always liked cleaner shrimp so are they a possibility?

Old 10-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's got live sand and 24 lbs if live rock in it right now.. So I guess it will be a FOWLR when I out my first fish in but I wanna out coral in there eventually.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBenson View Post
Now that my tank is up and running, and my fishless cycle is in progress, I've been putting together my stock list. On live aquaria.com it says most of these fish are peaceful. I can remove the semi agg. Ones if needed or not compatible and a few other if there's too many fish there. Suggestions are welcome!

Scissor tail dart fish - peaceful
2 clown fish - peaceful
Zebra barred dart fish - peaceful
Carpenters flasher wrasse - peaceful
(3-4) Fire fish - peaceful
Long nose hawk fish - semi agg.
Orchid dottyback - semi agg.
Clown gobby - citrinis - peaceful
Sailfin/algae blenny - peaceful
Six line wrasse - semi aggressive
Royal gramma basslet - peaceful
Tail spotted blenny - peaceful
Zebra barred dotfish - peaceful
Bi color blenny - peaceful
Sleeper banded goby - peaceful
Spotted cardinal fish - peaceful

The Next thing I wanna get listed is a clean up crew if I need one! I need suggestions for some crabs, snails, hermits, etc... I've always liked cleaner shrimp so are they a possibility?
You aren't going to be putting all those fish in there right? I hate my hermits and emerald crab, they just climb on corals and steal their food but for fowlr they are fine. Astrea, turbos and cerith are good algae eating snails. Red and blue leg hermits will eat algae as well. Make sure to wait a little to add a cleaner shrimp though they are more sensitive than snails/crabs.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
You aren't going to be putting all those fish in there right? I hate my hermits and emerald crab, they just climb on corals and steal their food but for fowlr they are fine. Astrea, turbos and cerith are good algae eating snails. Red and blue leg hermits will eat algae as well. Make sure to wait a little to add a cleaner shrimp though they are more sensitive than snails/crabs.
Definitely not!! Those are just a list of what I liked. I was gonna see if anyone had experience with any of the fish and which ones were the best to keep. I am definitely getting the 2 clownfish though.

Yeah I'll probably have just a FOWLR tank for about a month before I start adding coral! So I can get the just of things and more research done on coral
Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's my fault, I just read it and I made it sound like I was gonna add them all.. Lol I meant I'm flexible with the list.. I like all those fish so removing a certain few wouldn't be a problem if people didn't have good experiences with them!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

Definitely not!! Those are just a list of what I liked. I was gonna see if anyone had experience with any of the fish and which ones were the best to keep. I am definitely getting the 2 clownfish though.

Yeah I'll probably have just a FOWLR tank for about a month before I start adding coral! So I can get the just of things and more research done on coral
Gotcha haha. Well I've had clowns, a six line, gobies, a royal gramma and a flame blenny. While I had the six line he was never mean to anything, he was my first ever sw fish actually. He ended up jumping out unfortunately. Clowns are great, I have a pair of ocellaris and they have a lot of personality, same with my flame blenny. The royal is pretty shy and my blenny hates him lol but he stands his ground near his cave and does fine. I would pick 6-7 out of the list and stock them slowly. Also, firefish are the most skittish fish ever, friend has one in a 45 and I barely ever see it.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Gotcha haha. Well I've had clowns, a six line, gobies, a royal gramma and a flame blenny. While I had the six line he was never mean to anything, he was my first ever sw fish actually. He ended up jumping out unfortunately. Clowns are great, I have a pair of ocellaris and they have a lot of personality, same with my flame blenny. The royal is pretty shy and my blenny hates him lol but he stands his ground near his cave and does fine. I would pick 6-7 out of the list and stock them slowly. Also, firefish are the most skittish fish ever, friend has one in a 45 and I barely ever see it.
Ah ok! So I guess right now the list, from what you just told me, is this:

2 ocellaris
1 flame blenny (which is the bi color right?)
gobbies:
1 sleeper banded goby
1 clown goby/ citrinis
Possibly a sailfin/algae blenny? I really like him.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

My flame is jet black with a yellow tail, the tailspot is different but blennies generally require same care and have similar temperaments. Also, dont put two blennies in the same tank unless it is huge. I had two hifin shrimp gobies. I was just saying what I've had over my saltwater time. You can pick any stock out of that list you want, they all should mix with the exception of possibly the hawk. Out of your list I like fairy wrasses, the tail spot, and clowns. Royal gramma are really pretty as well. The clown goby should do fine as well as long as you don't get the hawk, it will probably eat it lol.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
My flame is jet black with a yellow tail, the tailspot is different but blennies generally require same care and have similar temperaments. Also, dont put two blennies in the same tank unless it is huge. I had two hifin shrimp gobies. I was just saying what I've had over my saltwater time. You can pick any stock out of that list you want, they all should mix with the exception of possibly the hawk. Out of your list I like fairy wrasses, the tail spot, and clowns. Royal gramma are really pretty as well. The clown goby should do fine as well as long as you don't get the hawk, it will probably eat it lol.
Oh ok! Lol yikes! Ok cool! Yeah I had read about the hawk fish in other peoples tanks so I was kinda skeptical on that one!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Oh ok! Lol yikes! Ok cool! Yeah I had read about the hawk fish in other peoples tanks so I was kinda skeptical on that one!
Haha yeah they can be jerks and they will eat shrimp as well. You could do the lawnmower over the other 2 blennies as well, they are really cool! Good luck with the tank keep updating!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com