55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Now that my tank is up and running, and my fishless cycle is in progress, I've been putting together my stock list. On live aquaria.com it says most of these fish are peaceful. I can remove the semi agg. Ones if needed or not compatible and a few other if there's too many fish there. Suggestions are welcome!

Scissor tail dart fish - peaceful
2 clown fish - peaceful
Zebra barred dart fish - peaceful
Carpenters flasher wrasse - peaceful
(3-4) Fire fish - peaceful
Long nose hawk fish - semi agg.
Orchid dottyback - semi agg.
Clown gobby - citrinis - peaceful
Sailfin/algae blenny - peaceful
Six line wrasse - semi aggressive
Royal gramma basslet - peaceful
Tail spotted blenny - peaceful
Zebra barred dotfish - peaceful
Bi color blenny - peaceful
Sleeper banded goby - peaceful
Spotted cardinal fish - peaceful

The Next thing I wanna get listed is a clean up crew if I need one! I need suggestions for some crabs, snails, hermits, etc... I've always liked cleaner shrimp so are they a possibility?

It's got live sand and 24 lbs if live rock in it right now.. So I guess it will be a FOWLR when I out my first fish in but I wanna out coral in there eventually.

Now that my tank is up and running, and my fishless cycle is in progress, I've been putting together my stock list. On live aquaria.com it says most of these fish are peaceful. I can remove the semi agg. Ones if needed or not compatible and a few other if there's too many fish there. Suggestions are welcome!

2 clown fish - peaceful
(3-4) Fire fish - peaceful
Long nose hawk fish - semi agg.
Six line wrasse - semi aggressive
Sleeper banded goby - peaceful
Spotted cardinal fish - peaceful

The Next thing I wanna get listed is a clean up crew if I need one! I need suggestions for some crabs, snails, hermits, etc... I've always liked cleaner shrimp so are they a possibility?

You aren't going to be putting all those fish in there right? I hate my hermits and emerald crab, they just climb on corals and steal their food but for fowlr they are fine. Astrea, turbos and cerith are good algae eating snails. Red and blue leg hermits will eat algae as well. Make sure to wait a little to add a cleaner shrimp though they are more sensitive than snails/crabs.

You aren't going to be putting all those fish in there right? I hate my hermits and emerald crab, they just climb on corals and steal their food but for fowlr they are fine. Astrea, turbos and cerith are good algae eating snails. Red and blue leg hermits will eat algae as well. Make sure to wait a little to add a cleaner shrimp though they are more sensitive than snails/crabs.

Definitely not!! Those are just a list of what I liked. I was gonna see if anyone had experience with any of the fish and which ones were the best to keep. I am definitely getting the 2 clownfish though.

Yeah I'll probably have just a FOWLR tank for about a month before I start adding coral! So I can get the just of things and more research done on coral

That's my fault, I just read it and I made it sound like I was gonna add them all.. Lol I meant I'm flexible with the list.. I like all those fish so removing a certain few wouldn't be a problem if people didn't have good experiences with them!

Definitely not!! Those are just a list of what I liked. I was gonna see if anyone had experience with any of the fish and which ones were the best to keep. I am definitely getting the 2 clownfish though.

Yeah I'll probably have just a FOWLR tank for about a month before I start adding coral! So I can get the just of things and more research done on coral

Gotcha haha. Well I've had clowns, a six line, gobies, a royal gramma and a flame blenny. While I had the six line he was never mean to anything, he was my first ever sw fish actually. He ended up jumping out unfortunately. Clowns are great, I have a pair of ocellaris and they have a lot of personality, same with my flame blenny. The royal is pretty shy and my blenny hates him lol but he stands his ground near his cave and does fine. I would pick 6-7 out of the list and stock them slowly. Also, firefish are the most skittish fish ever, friend has one in a 45 and I barely ever see it.

Gotcha haha. Well I've had clowns, a six line, gobies, a royal gramma and a flame blenny. While I had the six line he was never mean to anything, he was my first ever sw fish actually. He ended up jumping out unfortunately. Clowns are great, I have a pair of ocellaris and they have a lot of personality, same with my flame blenny. The royal is pretty shy and my blenny hates him lol but he stands his ground near his cave and does fine. I would pick 6-7 out of the list and stock them slowly. Also, firefish are the most skittish fish ever, friend has one in a 45 and I barely ever see it.

Ah ok! So I guess right now the list, from what you just told me, is this:

2 ocellaris
1 flame blenny (which is the bi color right?)
gobbies:
1 sleeper banded goby
1 clown goby/ citrinis
Possibly a sailfin/algae blenny? I really like him.

My flame is jet black with a yellow tail, the tailspot is different but blennies generally require same care and have similar temperaments. Also, dont put two blennies in the same tank unless it is huge. I had two hifin shrimp gobies. I was just saying what I've had over my saltwater time. You can pick any stock out of that list you want, they all should mix with the exception of possibly the hawk. Out of your list I like fairy wrasses, the tail spot, and clowns. Royal gramma are really pretty as well. The clown goby should do fine as well as long as you don't get the hawk, it will probably eat it lol.

My flame is jet black with a yellow tail, the tailspot is different but blennies generally require same care and have similar temperaments. Also, dont put two blennies in the same tank unless it is huge. I had two hifin shrimp gobies. I was just saying what I've had over my saltwater time. You can pick any stock out of that list you want, they all should mix with the exception of possibly the hawk. Out of your list I like fairy wrasses, the tail spot, and clowns. Royal gramma are really pretty as well. The clown goby should do fine as well as long as you don't get the hawk, it will probably eat it lol.
Oh ok! Lol yikes! Ok cool! Yeah I had read about the hawk fish in other peoples tanks so I was kinda skeptical on that one!

Oh ok! Lol yikes! Ok cool! Yeah I had read about the hawk fish in other peoples tanks so I was kinda skeptical on that one!

Haha yeah they can be jerks and they will eat shrimp as well. You could do the lawnmower over the other 2 blennies as well, they are really cool! Good luck with the tank keep updating!

Haha yeah they can be jerks and they will eat shrimp as well. You could do the lawnmower over the other 2 blennies as well, they are really cool! Good luck with the tank keep updating!

Haha I'm sorry but, lawnmower?
I will! Thanks for your help! :D

Sorry, the sailfin/algae blenny. I call them lawnmower blennies haha or the starry version both are very cool!

I have to say 20 fish for a 55 is to much. In my opinion you will be overstocked. I would cut that list to around 15.

I myself only have 5 fish in mine, and I am upgrading to a 120 in a month. I am picking up the tank today. It's a older 120 LONG tank so it's 5 foot by 18in wide. Even with that size I am not going to put 20 fish in. I might end up with about 10 fish.

I do have a some bigger fish, but some of the fish you want will get a good size once fully grown. Remember a lower stocked tank is easier to take care of! If you want to have that much fish, I am hopping you have a good Skimmer and Filter. Your going to need both!

Here is my suggestion! First get about 20 more pounds of live rock! It will help with your filtration! Than I would go with this!

Long nose hawk fish - semi agg. (I like a Flame Hawk more, very good looking fish, put your hawk fish 2nd to last in.)
Six line wrasse - semi aggressive (should be last fish in)
Sleeper banded goby - peaceful (later one)
Spotted cardinal fish - peaceful (I would suggest a school, about 4. They thrive more with schools, plus they are a slow swimmer so anything aggressive might hurt them)

I took out the Wrasse because two Wrasse in a tank that size might fight, plus they will compete for food. I like the Six line more, but I would only go with one. I took out the clowns because you might not like how they swim. Mine stayed in one corner of the tank and never moved, and they decided to jump and kill themselves. :-(

Grant it, your putting smaller fish in the tank, but remember they do get bigger and I just don't think all the fish you want would go together well.

Read the thread he said he wasn't putting them all in, that's just a list of what he liked.

I have to say 20 fish for a 55 is to much. In my opinion you will be overstocked. I would cut that list to around 15. I myself only have 5 fish in mine, and I am upgrading to a 120 in a month. I am picking up the tank today. It's a older 120 LONG tank so it's 5 foot by 18in wide. Even with that size I am not going to put 20 fish in. I might end up with about 10 fish. I do have a some bigger fish, but some of the fish you want will get a good size once fully grown. Remember a lower stocked tank is easier to take care of! If you want to have that much fish, I am hopping you have a good Skimmer and Filter. Your going to need both! Here is my suggestion! First get about 20 more pounds of live rock! It will help with your filtration! Than I would go with this! Scissor tail dart fish - peaceful Zebra barred dart fish - peaceful Long nose hawk fish - semi agg. (I like a Flame Hawk more, very good looking fish, put your hawk fish 2nd to last in.) Orchid dottyback - semi agg. Sailfin/algae blenny - peaceful Six line wrasse - semi aggressive (should be last fish in) Royal gramma basslet - peaceful Tail spotted blenny - peaceful Zebra barred dotfish - peaceful Bi color blenny - peaceful Sleeper banded goby - peaceful (later one) Spotted cardinal fish - peaceful (I would suggest a school, about 4. They thrive more with schools, plus they are a slow swimmer so anything aggressive might hurt them) I took out the Wrasse because two Wrasse in a tank that size might fight, plus they will compete for food. I like the Six line more, but I would only go with one. I took out the clowns because you might not like how they swim. Mine stayed in one corner of the tank and never moved, and they decided to jump and kill themselves. :-( Grant it, your putting smaller fish in the tank, but remember they do get bigger and I just don't think all the fish you want would go together well.
Do the wrasse have to be in pairs? I was just gonna get 1 but if they need another then that's the obvious elimination choice! Thanks for this advice! How's this list?

2 clown fish - peaceful
Sailfin/algae blenny - peaceful eel

Read the thread he said he wasn't putting them all in, that's just a list of what he liked.
it's all good!

Do the wrasse have to be in pairs? I was just gonna get 1 but if they need another then that's the obvious elimination choice! Thanks for this advice! How's this list?

2 clown fish - peaceful
Sailfin/algae blenny - peaceful eel

it's all good!

The wrasse should be fine on his own. Also that list looks fine. Make sure to get clowns that are the same size.

Ok, so back to fishless cycling.. I know it's normal for the water to get cloudy in a freshwater cycle... Is it normal in salt??

I have 2 tanks in my room.. A 20 gallon with 3 tigerbarbs and a BNP and then my 55g salt with no fish, just live rock and the 2 raw shrimp I have in there for the ammonia source. My room smelled horrific and both my tanks are cloudy. All of my barbs were dead, but I did a 50% water change yesterday, so I am draining that tank and putting my BNP in my bros 30 gallon for the time being. I'm sure that's why my 20 was foggy..

Now for the 55... Ever since I moved my rock around yesterday it has been the same fogginess because I kicked up a little sand in the process.. I thought it would settle again pretty quickly but it's still foggy. I can't tell if this one is the one that smells terribly or not since they are right next to each other.

Any thoughts?

My 55 params are this

Ammo: .25 ppm
Trites: 0 ppm
Trates: 0 ppm

Back
Top Bottom