Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your angel is beautiful!

Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks! I've wanted one since the first time I saw him/her.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Found a good deal on Craigslist. 2 Clowns, 2 Chromis, 30lbs of LR and Seaclone 100 Protein Skimmer for $130.

New rock on the Left

I've heard things about more than 2 clowns but I've been watching them closely and they aren't chasing each other or anything. They larger 2 are keeping together while the smallest (one I had) is keeping to himself. They are ranged pretty much small, medium and large. I want to get 2 or 3 nems to help out the separation. The 2 chromis are a bit larger as well and everyone seem's to be getting along. With the new rock, I created a lot of hiding spaces and small spots. If they start to become aggressive with the smaller Clown, I will just bring him back to my LFS and get something else.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

A little update, the 3 clowns are doing fine. Every time I see them they aren't chasing each other or anything. If I see anything like that, I'll move the smaller clown to my 10 gal tank. Also noticed a small bit of green hair algea growing, just need to get some inverts to clean that up. I've also noticed a lot of red stuff growing on the LR. It looks a little stringy. Not sure what it is, if anyone could help me out...

Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

While looking at the tank, I noticed my Flame Angel's right eye looked to have some white over its eye.... I just noticed this within the past few days. Here's some pictures of its eye. It's hard to get a good still shot of it. It's constantly on the move.
Here's its left eye

and now the right
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

The red growth looks like cyano bacteria
Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yup that's cyano. More water changes and less feeding is really the only cure to cyano.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I'm moving sometime next week and get to break the tank down and clean it really well. I found a few tips/techniques on how to move it and all. Any suggestions? Since I have this Cyno Slime outbreak, what could I do about it? Can I take the rock and lightly scrub the cyno or what? From what I've read, it's best to get new water for the tank but wouldn't getting new water have to be cycled just like starting with a new tank? Should I keep some of the old water and mix it? My substrate is crushed coral, do I need to re-rinse it or just leave it? I read that with Live Sand its best to throw out the old sand and get new... Just want to make sure I do everything right and whats best for the tank and the fish.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpd605x View Post
Well I'm moving sometime next week and get to break the tank down and clean it really well. I found a few tips/techniques on how to move it and all. Any suggestions? Since I have this Cyno Slime outbreak, what could I do about it? Can I take the rock and lightly scrub the cyno or what? From what I've read, it's best to get new water for the tank but wouldn't getting new water have to be cycled just like starting with a new tank? Should I keep some of the old water and mix it? My substrate is crushed coral, do I need to re-rinse it or just leave it? I read that with Live Sand its best to throw out the old sand and get new... Just want to make sure I do everything right and whats best for the tank and the fish.
I can't answer all your questions as I've never dealt with moving a tank but will try and help out with what I can.

Since you are moving it though I would suggest maybe switching to sand. Crushed corals is bad for trapping debris which can lead to high nutrient problems. Also, because sand is more fine it offers more area for beneficial bacteria to reside.

When it comes to moving substrate I believe the problems would usually occur when the substrate is stirred around releasing what were once trapped nutrients. This can cause a mini cycle and other issues.

Now, the questions about the water. The bacteria that are present in your tank after the cycling are on the surfaces; live rocks, substrate, etc. Replacing the water won't affect your cycle.
I'd use what water is in the tank for transporting the fish but otherwise start out fresh. That should also help in removing some of the nutrients that are present and causing the cyano. Just be sure to match the parameters; salinity, temp, pH, etc. when it comes to the new water.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well finished the move. A bit of a pain but overall not too bad. Got all the rock and tank all nice and clean. Added new water, new salt and several hours later, the fish.

Temp was right around 77ish degrees.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, fowlr, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com