55 gallon FOWLR Build converted from FW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How are you acclimating your fish? Because that could be what happened to your Clown's.. Drip acclimating is the best way, and it's not that hard at all.

Sometimes fish die for no reason. How has your tank been??

Looking good with the extra rocks. Nice scape. May I ask why you have toys in there? I heard a story on here about a guy who had fish die and couldn't work out why - it turned out to be the paint on his porcelain ornaments leaching into the water. Most people steer clear of artificial things in salt water tanks for this reason. Just a heads up :)

Tanks fine. Other than the cyno outbreak and a little hair algea, I've been lucky. I acclimated them but putting the bags in there, letting it sit then slowly adding tank water to the bag very 10-15 mins for an hour then finally adding them to the tank.

Thanks! My son loves Toy Story and they have been in there quite a while and I'm always testing to make sure everything is ok. If for any reason I see any changes I will be taking them out. But so far they have kept their color and the fish don't even mess with them other than knocking them over lol. Probably when I go to a 100 gal I won't even put them back in there.

Thanks!
A little update.... The angel is starting to look worse so I finally got my 10g Hospital tank set up. Got the salinity exactly the same as the display tank.
Hospital Tank (10g, lil 10w Heater, air stone and a little hiding place)
img_2370079_0_08b85c8de7081cdc2c4b890e3e16c992.jpg

The flame angel is starting to lose its color and just yesterday I noticed what looked like damage to the right side of him behind his fin.
Here's his left side:
img_2370079_1_0e34a4787616ca375ec9b66312ca69f2.jpg

Right side:
img_2370079_2_49549223758fc4bb10ae4dba6dbd2fba.jpg

img_2370079_3_8f3829efca34d1094e013241f92db3f5.jpg

I got some of this from Petsmart until my LFS opens tomorrow to get better meds
img_2370079_4_0c55d36c060aa2f3682b726fcc233f67.jpg

Well a little update....
I did 5 days of the Instant Ocean pills and his color was coming back and looking good again. The damage behind the fin seems to not be going away but is looking better. I also went to my LFS and they gave me some more meds and I asked them about what his illness could be. They said it looked like he was attacked but couldn't say for sure.
They gave me this:
img_2381256_0_6cb404ca874ab0bd044c00406eddafa2.jpg

They said keep using the Instant Ocean and use this with it. The bottle says 5mL for every 10g. So I've been doing that also for about 3 days now. The day after I notice his color back, he looks white again... Looks almost more white than he did before. Also started looking at the clowns and noticed some small spots and some stuff on their fins. Just great, so I figured, I might as well med the whole tank while I'm at it. The thing is, I have had this Flame Angel for over 3 months... could it have been that the ich just appeared and didn't come from any fish or what?
Here's the pics of the clowns...
img_2381256_1_3667e757612685b2ce1aa92dadafa05a.jpg

img_2381256_2_e89668c69ea4da66fac3595e2c725c07.jpg

^^If you look at this one, you can slightly see just above his forehead.

Update:
Brought a water sample to the LFS and they said My nitrites are low and my nitrates are good. I think my test kit may be malfunctioning or something. They also said my Salinity was low @ 1.016, which I was very surprised because last time I checked it, it was 1.023. So I got more salt and now its sitting between 1.025 & 1.026. Also just ordered this T5 Quad 48" Reef Light. I'm going to start off slow and cheap that way I can get used to keeping soft corals and get more experience with keeping them. I can't wait though!

It's been a while since I've done an update.... Haven't had any issues lately. Had some hair algea but took care of that with some water changes. Just cleaned the glass really well and re-aquascaped for my new addition coming Saturday.
I really need to get a background lol

Here's what I'm getting :) Can't remember what it's called but its $40

He also has a Toadstool, I really like that one too but I think I'll stay with the polyps for my first soft coral, the guy is selling it for $60 (its the big one on the left)

In ya'll's seasoned experience, what would be easier? The Toadstool or the Green Polyp?

I finally got a background. It's reversible so if i get tired of the black, I can change it to blue. Everyone went into the tank great. The guy I bought the polyps from is a great guy. He gave me a little rock w/ 3-4 polyps on it, 2 mushrooms and some red thing lol. There was also a little star fish attached to the polyps that I bought so an added little bonus. The guy said he also has a few more frags for me that I can have. He said he loves helping people getting started in corals. Also bought some Mysis Shrimp, I'm cutting the cubes up into 3rd's to start out.
On to the pictures!

Here's what I bought and the little star fish. I saw him moving when I put it in but haven't seen it since.

It also "jumped" of the rock I placed it on down into the gravel.

Here's the freebies he gave me...

x2 of these

[URL=http://s90.photobucket.com/user/admrl20/media/Aquarium%20Photos/null_zps9c94b3a1.jpg.html]
img_2501991_6_717df5749063f4cc6c3871e986fa0e5c.jpg
[/URL]

Ordered another powerhead a few days ago, should be here this week. Also, got some more free frags! Not sure what they are called but hey, its a start!

Back
Top Bottom