Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

55 gallon FOWLR Build converted from FW

I had this set up as a FW tank and decided to switch it over to SW. It's been up and running now since August, so far I haven't had any major issues.

Here's how it looks today with the exception of the filter, moved it behind the rock.

Here's my equipment so far... I have my Marineland Bio-Wheel 350 (for now),
200W Heater, Deep Blue SolarmaxHE double T5 light w/ moonlight LED's, Cheapo Hydrometer and a Marineland Powerhead (Unknown GPH, came with the tank).
200W Heater

Deep Blue SolarmaxHE Double T5 Light

Powerhead

I currently have 16lbs of LR and Crushed coral substrate. I plan on getting more LR, just have to get it a little at a time due to budget constraints.

I plan on getting a protein skimmer, an additional powerhead/wave maker, HOB overflow and to make my 10g tank into a sump.

Cleanup Crew:
A bunch of Turbo Snails and some hermit crabs. I want to get some cleaner shrimp and maybe a few different type of snails.

Fish:
I had 2 Yellowtail Damsels and 2 Blue/Green Chromis after the tank cycled. About a week after I introduced them all into the tank, 1 Damsel died. A week and a half later the other Damsel died. All of my levels checked out fine as you can see below so I'm not quite sure what went wrong w/ them.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Probably added too much too fast and don't have enough LR.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpd605x
I had this set up as a FW tank and decided to switch it over to SW. It's been up and running now since August, so far I haven't had any major issues.

Here's how it looks today with the exception of the filter, moved it behind the rock.

Here's my equipment so far... I have my Marineland Bio-Wheel 350 (for now),
200W Heater, Deep Blue SolarmaxHE double T5 light w/ moonlight LED's, Cheapo Hydrometer and a Marineland Powerhead (Unknown GPH, came with the tank).
200W Heater

Deep Blue SolarmaxHE Double T5 Light

Powerhead

I currently have 16lbs of LR and Crushed coral substrate. I plan on getting more LR, just have to get it a little at a time due to budget constraints.

I plan on getting a protein skimmer, an additional powerhead/wave maker, HOB overflow and to make my 10g tank into a sump.

Cleanup Crew:
A bunch of Turbo Snails and some hermit crabs. I want to get some cleaner shrimp and maybe a few different type of snails.

Fish:
I had 2 Yellowtail Damsels and 2 Blue/Green Chromis after the tank cycled. About a week after I introduced them all into the tank, 1 Damsel died. A week and a half later the other Damsel died. All of my levels checked out fine as you can see below so I'm not quite sure what went wrong w/ them.
I'm not sure why your damsels died. Your levels in the pic there seem to be good. What's your temp at? Specific gravity? Is it ok if I'm nosey and ask what is the orange/yellow thing on sand on left side of pic?
You could add more rock if you want, the fish would probably appreciate more places to hide/sleep. The rock is not required, but makes it look more like a natural setting and gives fish places to hide and swim through.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Its a diatom bloom. The snails and hermit crabs seen to be taking care of it
Old 10-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally i think your nitrate looks a little high. Not by much but it may need a look at.

Are you running a protein skimmer?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not at the moment. I need to get one but just waiting for funds to build up. They aren't cheap lol. What could I do to lower the Nitrates a little bit?
Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Water changes will reduce them. Start with a 20% then see how you go.

Fish: Moorish Idol, Powder Blue Tang, Hippo Tang, J Emperor Angel, 3 Chromis, 2 Black & White Clowns, Yellow Tang,
begginersluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, my wife surprised me Friday and brought home 2 clown fish. One was a little bigger than the other but overall I was excited. I told her that I wanted to get rock instead but she really wanted the clowns too so she went ahead and got them.

Here's the smaller one:

Not even after 12hrs after being acclimated and in the tank, the smaller one has died. I kept looking at him about 6hrs after entered into the tank and he was staying in a corner and not really roaming around. I know that they sometimes do that because they are in a new environment and once they get comfortable they will start to roam. The larger Clown did that immediately which brought my suspicion to the smaller one. Around 7-8hrs in the tank I noticed that he kept "falling" on his side then getting back up then slowly doing it again. So I did some reading and saw that sometimes they sleep on their side so I figured that was it. I went to bed and turned off the lights. After about an hour with the lights off I went to check on him again and couldn't find him so I figured he went into some rock to "sleep". Woke up this morning and he was in a corner and the crabs were feeding on him. Checked my water parameters again and they all are reading like they are supposed to. I'm calling the LFS today to see if they can see if they know what could have happened. Also bringing them some water so they can double check my test results.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear about your fish. It's sad when one of these beautiful fish die.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well a little update...

Tank is still doing good, no problems. Haven't added any more LR yet, found a guy (3hrs away) that has about 80lbs for $1 per lbs. Hopefully I will get it soon. Still have the 2 Chromis and the 1 clown. I got a gift card for xmas to my LFS so I went in and got a beautiful Flame Angel. They said they just got him in on a trade so it's used to the tank life. Acclimated him for an hour and so far he is doing great. I just love the colors on him/her. My next plan is to get the LR, hopefully soon. Not many other plans for the tank right now.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, build, fowlr, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com