Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good morning! Did you order from Bulk Reef Supply, by chance? And what kind of rock did you get? I have 30lbs of regular dry rock and 20lbs of Figi. Didn't need all the regular and saved some rubble to place around. Only got 40lbs of sand, so the jaw fish is out. Have a Pajama Cardinal in my reef tank. Banggais are on my first list, but I've already bumped a few. We'll see what happens.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Welcome! I'd just like to comment on the "Purple Up". You don't need this Tricia. What you need is to seed the tank with coralline algae. Coralline will never grow if it's not present. All you need after that is parameters close to NSW and a light source.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, Mr-x. How to I seed it with coralline? I know, another dumb question.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:58 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A local reefer or the LFS should have some on a rock or something in one of their tanks. All you need are a few scrapings. Literally scrape it off of a rock or shell or something and let it blow around the tank....in no time you'll see it growing.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Great, Doug. This is one thing I've never heard of. I'll see if I can get some from my reef. If not, when the husband is well enough, I will make a trip to the LFS. Learn something new everyday.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Yup, bulk reef supply. I will be ordering pukani once it's back in stock, with some BRS reef saver dry live rock as well. Between the live rock and sand, I think I'll cycle fine if I let it run for a month. We'll see what the water quality results are then pukani seems to be in high demand, it goes out of stock as soon as they get it in! :\ but I have some cosmetic work to do on the stand before I fill anyway, hopefully I can get that done this weekend so I can get this tank up and running!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pukani is great rock. I got Figi because they were out of Pukani, but I'm not disappointed. The reef saver rock is very dirty and needed to be rinsed for quite a while. I was very pleased with the caves and swimming spaces it already had or I could create. The Figi is a much lighter colored rock and tended to break easier when chiseled. The contrast in the colors made the scape very pretty. Oh, and the shrimp did not smell up the place!
Once I get some much needed rest, I will take measurements and see where the tank is. It won't hurt it just to sit there, so I'm not in a hurry.
Did BRS tell you an approximate date of delivery on the Pukani?
Old 01-31-2015, 04:08 AM   #18

I signed up for the email alert to notify me when they get more Pukani in, which they did ... Last week? ... But it was already out of stock again by the time I went order I've never used the reef saver dry live rock, is it heavy as well as dirty? I may rethink that choice.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:10 AM   #19

Hope your husband is doing well and you're getting some rest!

Old 01-31-2015, 12:07 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thank you about my husband. He's still in some pain and we are sleeping in our recliners off and on. But he should be pretty good in a day or two. He has another surgery scheduled for 2/27 so we have to get ready for that. We are just trying to make it to May, when we have a beautiful cruise and land tour of Alaska planned. He will be much better and raring to go by then.
Now, as to the Pukani, it really is going in and out fast. I know it will be worth it, but it may be awhile before you can get it, and that is so disappointing. I wonder if there is any other place you can get it?
The reef rock is heavy. Some of the larger pieces I used, I had to use both hands to carry from garage to livingroom. But it is easy to work with as to breaking it up and making holes. You will have a two color aquascape though, which may not be in your plans. And the sand we're using blows around considerably and took 5 days to settle. I will smoothe out the sand, blow off the rocks, take out the malfunctioning heater and the powerhead and rinse it, put it in clear water and run it to get the sand out. Hopefully, I can get this done around taking care of my husband.

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, fowlr, gallon, star, start, startup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com