55 Gallon Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

staskied

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings to all,

My name is David and I just recently started into the adventures of a salt water aquarium. I was given a 55 gallon tank. I currently have it setup with a few live rocks, which my kids and I are enjoying watching the critters that came with them.

I am receiving some guidance by my step-dad, who has had salt water tanks for awhile. I am here for the number one thing he has told me to do which is read. I hope to learn a lot from all you, and I am looking forward to this adventure.

David

Welcome to the forum! There are so many people here who are more than willing to help, you've found a great site!

I had a 55g for awhile and really enjoyed it. You cant keep tangs but you can get quite a few cool fish. :) It's not too small of a tank but its not gigantic either, so good choice.

My first tank was a 55 gallon good luck. Remember nothing good happens fast in a marine aquarium. Go slow and enjoy the aquarium as you watch it progress. I bought all coral colonies that I saw come up for sale to fill my 55 to the rim and then got burnt out on it. I set my 180 up and bought frags and its been so much more enjoyable to care for and it was cheaper that way. The tank will get where you want it with time. Follow the suggested timeframe for an established tank to house certain animals. I went through several anemones trying to rush the process. Happy reefing.

Hi welcome and congratulations on your new tank.

The best advice I can give you is start as you mean to go on. Quarantine everything before adding it to your main tank. Quarantining can take from 4 to 8 weeks depending whether there is medication needed. Do as much research on quarantining as possible and set one up before even making another decision.

By following this you will have a truly healthy tank and sicknesses can be treated in your separate tank

Back
Top Bottom