Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

55 gallon setup

Currently i would like to have a Picasso trigger in my tank; however from the sounds of it my tank would end up being to small for a trigger. Is the recommended tank size because of how much room they like to move around in? Or is it because they are territorial and aggressive? They really caught my eye; along with the lion fish. If the trigger is out of the question; I will most likely end up just going with smaller; non-aggressive fish such as clowns, goby's and so forth.

However ultimately could I get a Picasso trigger; or is the tank just to small? This is a FOWLR tank; would be around 60lb's of LR; two Koralia 4 Centrifugal Pump's; araganite (not sure how many inches I need?) ; and that should mostly be it.Of course a protein skimmer is in line.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
IMO 2 Koralia #4 would be to much for your 55G I would recommend a #2 and #3, but your doing FOWLR you should not need that much flow with it unless you are going reef in the future but for now I think just a #2 and a #1 would work out good for you. The #3 alone putts out more current than the tank can really handle especially only having 60LB of LR (IMO). As for having Trigger Fish would be way to small to house them in 55g I've seen others do it but that's the risk they like to take. Clowns and Goby's will be great additions to your Tank.

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Humu Picasso Triggerfish

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
i have two koraila 3's and that even seems like alot. your sand would be everywhere with 2 #4's.
Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hah thanks for the info! I never knew that. I will either go with 2 #2's or 1 #2 with a #3. I will stick with clowns; goby's and others. Any recommendations for a CUC? I honestly have no idea in that area.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I would Say Start with 10 Turbo Snails 10 Astra Snails and I would say 15 Blue Leg Hermits or whatever you choose to do.... Mix and Matching them is ok.... But that's IMO I would recommend... They shoudl a Nice job for you depending on how much algae is growing
Old 03-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Tank knows my preference on snails vs. hermits. I would go with nassarius snails, ceriths and margaritas, and limit the hermits. I only have 3 hermits in my 55. How about a pincushion urchin? I love the triggers, but would not put them in my 55.
What are your other ideas...remember, clowns are damselfish and can be mean to other fish if they are the first in the tank.....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Tank knows my preference on snails vs. hermits. I would go with nassarius snails, ceriths and margaritas, and limit the hermits. I only have 3 hermits in my 55. How about a pincushion urchin? I love the triggers, but would not put them in my 55.
What are your other ideas...remember, clowns are damselfish and can be mean to other fish if they are the first in the tank.....
I honestly did not know clowns had a problem; I knew damsel's could. Honestly Im not to sure; The lions are nice but again can't stick those with clowns or other small fish which the lion would easily outgrow them. Ive been looking online at marine fish; still looking.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post

Oh yes I forgot the Nassarius Snail How could I forget Scott... , but Roka is correct Clown are part of the Damsel Family and they can get aggressive. but from my studies of Clown fish they normally get territorial only when there is an Anemone present that they are hosting even then sometimes they would not tolerate some species of fish that may come close to there home.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Well, you get my props for at least asking and listening...I love loins as well too! The key would be to add a lion (depending on the specie) as a "finishing touch" to your tank. This may take years..or another tank, lol, so the lion doesn't eat your other expensive fish. You might be able to get away with a smaller fish (forktail blenny) who has a defensive mechanism, such as their poisonous bite, in the tank with the lion to dissuade him from trying to swallow him.
Check out a few sites and give us a list (and tell us what you are thinking and we can go from there).
liveaquaria.com has some decent info on fish.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com