Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

55 long Community (FOWLR)

about a week or so ago i set up my 55 long with 40 lbs of live sand and about 30 lbs of live rock (plan on getting more of both). last night i added 3 damsels. im trying to set it up with only "community" fish with no temperament and maybe one or two anemones, i know next week im going to get a baby clown, but other than that im not sure on so any insight would be helpful. i DO NOT want any type of tangs (personal preference). I have had a saltwater tank before, but its been 8 or so years since i have been around or messed with a saltwater.
Like I said any insight would be helpful!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have u cycled your tank? Btw damsels are not community fish they get aggressive

Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would return the damsels because it seems just from what you wrote your tank is not cycled yet. Here's a link for fishless cycling. Give it a look and then add fish after your cycle is complete.
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

This forum is awesome. They helped me so much with my tank.
TommyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #4

yes my tank is cycled, the only reason i got the damsels was because they are hardy and i know they are/or get aggressive.
this isnt my first tank, its just been so long since i have had a tank i have forgotten about the fish.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay - I didn't mean to underestimate your knowledge, I was just going by what you typed. I have a 55 gallon as well. Currently I only have 1 clown in there though. I had some chromis but they didnt last - other people have had problems with them too. What about a wrasse, some firefish, you can try chomis they school pretty nice for a comm. tank
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #6

sorry wasnt trying to come off as mean.
cant put a wrasse in there seeing as they are a "predator" fish. im trying to get fish that wont "attack" each other, and will play nice with each other. i am how ever going to get a sand shifting sleeper gobey with a pistol shrimp, and after a month of the tank up and running im thinking of getting a chocolate chip star fish. i have been talking to a friend of mine that has had 7 tanks running at once (most reef) but getting good info out of him is like pulling teeth!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha i know that feeling. Well the wrasse is not that aggressive. They are reef safe too just incase down the road you decide to go this way. You can only have 1 species of wrasse in the tank though otherwise they get aggressive towards eachother. I had one for a little while and he never bothered my other fish but he didnt make it - that's a whole 'nother story I'm dealing with. goby + pistol shrimp is an awesome idea! especially when they pair and live together but not out and about much from what I've heard and researched.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not sure if it read it right or not but Damsels are not good community fish unless you want aggressive community fish or a predator tank. I wouldn't put them with a goby. Also there are plenty of reef safe wrasses that are not mean and even some of the bigger ones (like a Lunar, which should go in a bigger than a 55) are reef safe just not invert safe. I would ditch the damsels and start stocking the fish over. If you add most community fish now they're gonna harass and pick them off.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #9

im just going to have the damsels in there for about a week to two weeks, then passing them off to one of my friends. id really like to have a six line wrasse but if i get one it will be the last fish i put in there and hope he/she will leave the nenm alone.

ok one question.. can you have 2 baby clowns in the same tank? i keep hearing that you can have one in a 30 gal, but also hear that if you add them at the same time and have one nenm they will fight over who hosts it. i plan on trying to breed them..

im not going to try a reef tank yet, i plan on saving up for that so i can buy everything at once. instead of like im doing now with the LR in my 55 long. its not cheap here in Shreveport.
cheapest place per lbs is 5.00, and from petco its 20.00 for their mediums.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Regarding the six line wrasse, if he is the most aggressive fish you'll be putting in, then you have the correct idea of putting him in last. Haven't read of them picking at anemones (and if it has happened, it's rare). I hope you're not adding the anemone soon though.

You can have 2 clowns in the same tank, but they can be very aggressive towards each other trying to claim dominance (which will become female and male). Clowns don't always host anemones in captivity. Less of a chance if they are tank raised too. Breeding clownfish...don't know if they'll lay eggs and when the eggs hatch they will be gobbled up if not taken out right away. So, it's best to keep a pair in their own tank. Also, the fry eat rotifers which you'll have to grow unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount of $.

You can go with mostly base rock. I have 100% BRS dry pukani rock b/c it was more cost effective, and had no pests. You could also buy mostly base rock and then some LR to seed it. The protein skimmer is going to be your largest investment. Getting a quality, reputable skimmer is important.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
community, fowlr, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com