Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner View Post
Fuzzy lions are cool but you would run a huge risk by having one in your tank. I a species tank, the lion fish will associate you with food and may get too close while you clean the tank.
I wouldn't call this a huge risk. A sting from one would be painful, but not dangerous. Use a mag float to clean the glass and a sump for the equipment.

OP: You could keep a pair of fuzzy dwarf lions. very cool fish with a lot of personality.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post

I wouldn't call this a huge risk. A sting from one would be painful, but not dangerous. Use a mag float to clean the glass and a sump for the equipment.

OP: You could keep a pair of fuzzy dwarf lions. very cool fish with a lot of personality.
I have a longer tool to clean the acrylic with and a mag float. I'm curious if a pair would need to be male/female?

Also would fuzzy lions eat any snails?

Old 03-31-2013, 01:51 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Any body know more about spotted puffers? I have not seen any V. Puffers in my lfs yet
Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsh View Post
I have a longer tool to clean the acrylic with and a mag float. I'm curious if a pair would need to be male/female?

Also would fuzzy lions eat any snails?
I know with many species of lionfish you can keep as many together as you would like, so I would say no, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

In terms of eating snails, I don't believe so. They'll definitely go after your shrimp or crabs, but probably not snails. If you're worried about it you could get larger snails like turbos or come conch.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks Psychocircus.

Now after reading about all 3 options(dwarf fuzzy lion, spotted puffer and Valentini puffer) I am now leaning heavily towards the Valentini.

I am going to ask around to see if any local fish stores carry any. Probably in San Francisco at least, about an hour and a half drive m

In a 55 is it possible to keep a mated pair or does "will fight with conspecifics" mean it will fight any other Toby, either sex?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah you will only be able to keep 1 in a 55 from what I have heard but never tried it. With a valentini in a 55 you will be able to keep other fish in there though If you wanted
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What types of fish are typically able to get along with the Valentini? I love gobies and dragonettes.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

With mine I have 2 clowns a sleeper goby and 4 shrimp, from my experience they will go with any fish really as they're not aggressive at all apart from to my hand lol
Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know what you plan on adding but I would add a wrasse like the rainbow wrasse or banana wrasse.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So if the Valentini was in a 55 gallon the bioload isn't maxed? No sump, only a skimmer and maybe 25-30libs of live rock in the tank.

I like the suggestions am I'm glad to hear the Valentini isn't particularly aggressive!

By the way I found a new lfs to the south that has a very cool Hawaiian fish (the one with the crazy long name.... State fish) that looked so smart and funny.

He was almost similar looking to a trigger, not quite by had a big ol' tooth on his chompers. The downside to these guys is they are constantly grabbing rocks as rubble and spitting it out against the sides of the tank, which he warns scratches the hek out of acrylic tanks. I wonder if I can line the inside of my tank somehow?

Tags
spec, species, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com