55G FOLR Build DIY ATS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update::::

The tank is cycling, the ammonia has now steadied at 0 and nitrites almost there. There has been an algae bloom in the tank, but not worried about that as it should be gone once the water stabilizes.

image-2064635922.jpg

image-1717816055.jpg

The red LEDs seem to work, here is a pic after about 10 days...

image-4017282585.jpg

And here's some shots about a week after...

image-2239823786.jpg

image-1526279390.jpg

image-966755589.jpg

image-2497433530.jpg

And the skimmer is skimming...

image-1286964101.jpg

Nice scubber. How long before you had green growing on it? Mine as been up for a week so far . It's growing some brown but not too much.

Hondatek said:
Nice scubber. How long before you had green growing on it? Mine as been up for a week so far . It's growing some brown but not too much.

Thanks. Well it's in a new cycling tank so I'm sure the crazy water parameters effects it's growth either positively or negatively.

I had a light brown color after about 6 days, then it went crazy and by about 10days it was evenly coated in green, with spots of red and brown. Getting thicker and greener by the day.

Hondatek said:
Cool thanks for the info. I liked the way you plumbed yours hanging from the union. Good idea

Yea it worked out well, I don't need to mess around with the zip ties as much, just turn off the pump, unscrew the union, and pull it out for cleaning.

Did you have patchy brown growth in the early stages? I think I might have to cut my center zip tie it may be pinching the pipe in the middle.I still have pure white areas

Hondatek said:
Did you have patchy brown growth in the early stages? I think I might have to cut my center zip tie it may be pinching the pipe in the middle.I still have pure white areas

This is my first ATS so I'm no expert but I had an even pale brown coating, almost yellow for a few days before the green came. If you have areas with no growth it's likely due to an uneven sordid of light I would think...

Ok thanks for the help . I think I need to work on the slot the white areas aren't really wet enough. I'll move the lights around too.

Hondatek said:
Ok thanks for the help . I think I need to work on the slot the white areas aren't really wet enough. I'll move the lights around too.

Yea the slot is the hardest part to make, I used a large handheld circular saw, took a few attempts and almost chopped my hand off but it came out good. Looking back on it I would probably get a dremel tool.

Any update on the tank with the LED, I've been considering buy 1 20w for my 20 long reef tank

So my other tank (the 72g) cracked so after looking on CL I found this 125g acrylic for $350, great deal. Needs a bit of work but my eel will love it, this will be a FOWLR.

Attachments

• image-3057281918.jpg
    image-3057281918.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom