Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking good...
Yes the ATS slot needs to be spot on..Its probably one of the most important aspects of the scrubber..Remember to leave the top part of the screen smooth so it can slide right into the slot..If its roughed up it will create uneven flow causing splashes ..
Do you have a dremel?

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
Looking good...
Yes the ATS slot needs to be spot on..Its probably one of the most important aspects of the scrubber..Remember to leave the top part of the screen smooth so it can slide right into the slot..If its roughed up it will create uneven flow causing splashes ..
Do you have a dremel?
Thanks, no I don't have a dremel, but I may go and buy one. Am I right in thinking 1/8" is the proven thickness of the slot?

Old 03-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

1/8th to 3/16ths
Do you have a miter saw,handheld or table saw?
I just thought of this actually and it worked great..You do have to be careful of going through the other side ,,i tried a few slots and found if you pick the pipe up and slide it ,then just flip it and match the other slot up it works best
Obviously a table saw will work best because you can set the height of the blade..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3244350.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	84454   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3244352.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	84455  

FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
1/8th to 3/16ths
Do you have a miter saw,handheld or table saw?
I just thought of this actually and it worked great..You do have to be careful of going through the other side ,,i tried a few slots and found if you pick the pipe up and slide it ,then just flip it and match the other slot up it works best
Obviously a table saw will work best because you can set the height of the blade..
Thanks for your help, I just managed to cut a pretty neat 1/8th" slot. I've remade the ATS with 1" pipe, so a trickle constantly runs out of the emergency drain (no problem). I have also made a splash guard out of acrylic.

The water is still preferring the center, and not spreading as much as I would like, and it's really loud... Any ideas how I could improve this? I may just leave it as is.

I have not roughed up this screen yet but here's a quick video of it so you get an idea what I'm talking about.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm considering maybe stitching a thin filter pad/ block to the bottom of the ATS screen where it hits the water to reduce the bubbling noise. Thinking it may work and I can rinse them out weekly while I'm cleaning the screen...
Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why are the lights red ?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158
Why are the lights red ?
Because from the full color spectrum, red is the most absorbed color by algae, so theoretically it should promote algae growth...
Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Activist

Why would you want to promote algae growth? Is it usefull to have a sump like this on a freshwater? Also how much would I need in order to do a setup like this?
Pair of German Blue Rams, Pair of Peacock Gobys, Venezuelan Corys, Long Finned Pepper Cory, Orange Neon Cory, Sterbai Corys, Albino Corys, Elegans Corys, Bronze Corys, Columbian Tetras, Cardinal Tetras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Marble Hatchets, Zebra Danios, Red Finned Zebra Danio, African Dwarf Frog and Darwin the Cream and Blue Betta
steg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by steg22
Why would you want to promote algae growth? Is it usefull to have a sump like this on a freshwater? Also how much would I need in order to do a setup like this?
Search 'algae turf scrubber' basically just gives the algae a place to grow and it filters your water.

You can add a sump for fairly cheap, you can make all of the piping with PVC, sump can just be a plastic container, you can get cheap return pumps, a sump or ATS can be added with any budget...
Old 04-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How's the algae growth in the ats with the red led?

Tags
55 gallon, build, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com