55G FOLR Build DIY ATS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up a 55G tank here are my plans...

55G all-glass aquarium
DIY plywood stand
Remora Pro skimmer with Mag 3 pump
1.25" drain (drilled) with custom overflow box
X2 1/2" returns (drilled) with loc-line fittings
1" aragonite sand bed (seeded from my reef tank)
50lbs DIY live rock (seeded from my reef tank)
X2 koralia Evo 1400 pumps with the hydor smart wave
DIY 10G sump Algae turf scrubber with Mag 5 return pump
DIY 5G ATO system
Lighting TBD

Livestock

- Baby Snowflake Eel (already own)
- serpent star (large, already own)

Others TBD... Dwarf Lionfish?

Here is the design for my overflow box that I have sent to my acrylic guy... I have basically taken the design from the Aqua C Remora surface skimmer attatchment box and added an additional overflow section on the right for my tank drain.

Its a little different as its going to have 3 separate sections...

Section 1 will enclose a Mag 3 skimmer pump.

Section 2 will be for the skimmer return and media (water does not flow in this section from the outer overflows). It will have a hole in the base / bottom, a simple 2-3" hole will be sufficient for water to return from the skimmer.

Section 3 is just going to have a hole with a 1.25" bulkhead (through the back, not bottom).

The rough sketch below does not have a back but I have requested that it does so I can secure it simply with the bulkhead and not need silicone.

I expect to receive this in the mail within a couple of weeks, then I can get the tank (which im picking up on Jan 2nd) drilled and install it.

Attachments

• image-157090352.jpg
    image-157090352.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 258
problem I see here is if your return pump stops then the skimmer pump will pump dry,put your skimmer pump and return in your sump

David S said:
problem I see here is if your return pump stops then the skimmer pump will pump dry,put your skimmer pump and return in your sump

Yea I thought about that but as I had a remora pro that won't fit in the sump I thought I would risk it, I can always get another pump should the return go, in the last 5 years I've yet to have a danner return pump burn out.

Just finished building & painting my DIY stand, I'll post some pics once it dries!

Here is the tank to be along with the remora pro, loc-line nozzles, bulkheads etc, I'm still waiting to receive the overflow box (designed above) once I get it I will get the tank drilled.

Attachments

• image-2361229337.jpg
    image-2361229337.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 256
This is my ATS, now I just need to build the sump to put it in and consider lighting...

Attachments

• image-3887655377.jpg
    image-3887655377.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 252
Here's a little mod to my DIY stand, just put a Hydor smart wave in the side panel, and I plan on adding some switches alongside for the skimmer and return pump so I can easily turn them all off for feeding/ maintenance.

Attachments

• image-3678546875.jpg
    image-3678546875.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 247
A few changes,

I decided to trade the Remora Pro for an AquaC EV-120 with a Mag 5 so I can put it next to the sump. I've got an EV-240 running my bigger tank so I know they are great skimmers.

Also I have bought a simple 1200 GPH overflow box to run the mag 7 return pump.

I have also finished putting together my 10G sump. It's a very compact design but should work out great with the turf scrubber.

The PVC pipe work is still in progress as I need to get the tank drilled in order to Finish the plumbing.

Attachments

• image-2081912883.jpg
    image-2081912883.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 278
  • image-1245761446.jpg
    image-1245761446.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 222
  • image-1436806197.jpg
    image-1436806197.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 298
  • image-1393508355.jpg
    image-1393508355.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 240
  • image-4206303627.jpg
    image-4206303627.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 289
  • image-2631709738.jpg
    image-2631709738.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 226
Also I have changed my mind on the livestock, I'm going to keep my eel in the larger tank and this tank will include (already own)...

- mated pair of clowns
- yellow eyed kole tang (may move him into the bigger tank as he grows)
- few damsels and chromis
- mushrooms, frogspawns, birdsnest etc

After researching turf scrubbers I think bioload will not be an issue, so I may also add a couple more fish, thinking of a fire fish and ???... Suggestions welcome!

Looks great and looks like you got it under control. Impressed with the DIY stand and controller is it patented? Lol

EriksFish315 said:
Looks great and looks like you got it under control. Impressed with the DIY stand and controller is it patented? Lol

Thanks, yea I don't suggest putting the controller in the stand, far too much work than its worth, but it does look nice!

I am also going to add some rocker switches in the side of the stand so I can easily turn off the return pump and or skimmer for feeding/ cleaning etc.

Looks really good,,Is your screen roughed up,,hard to tell from pics ??
Don't be afraid to make it longer if you can either (looks like you have room)

FTMMWS said:
Looks really good,,Is your screen roughed up,,hard to tell from pics ??
Don't be afraid to make it longer if you can either (looks like you have room)

Thanks, I haven't roughed it up yet, I had a go with a wire brush but it didn't work so well... Any tips on that would be great.

I agree it is a bit short, I have another screen (uncut) that I'm going to put on, probably put it 1-2" under the water level.

Another question I had about the ATS is that I remember seeing someone drill a few holes on the top side of the PVC that holds the screen. Is this a good idea? I assume it's to get rid of the excess air, but does it risk leaking?

Any ATS people out there who can shine some light on this?

Cheers

To light the turf scrubber I am going very basic, mainly due to the lack of room.

I have two 23W 3500K bulbs just hanging either side. Once the tanks set up I may try and make something with reflectors.. Here's a pic..

Attachments

• image-4101733193.jpg
    image-4101733193.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 129
Heres mine,,reflectors are a must ...theres a lot of wasted light there
You don't need holes either but i don't know if thats a big issue or not..probably not...i used a sawzall blade to rough it up

this is my third scrubber ,i had em on my other tanks too...Its the only filtration i've used.Been using them for a few years ..I will never use anything else
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/ftmmwss-280-build-167134-9.html

FTMMWS said:
Heres mine,,reflectors are a must ...theres a lot of wasted light there
You don't need holes either but i don't know if thats a big issue or not..probably not...i used a sawzall blade to rough it up

this is my third scrubber ,i had em on my other tanks too...Its the only filtration i've used.Been using them for a few years ..I will never use anything else
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/ftmmwss-280-build-167134-9.html

That's a great scrubber, I will have a look around for some reflectors, I can see you know your scrubbers!

This will be my first ATS, after lots and lots of reading I couldn't resist. I did include a skimmer just as an add-on.

Appreciate your help, I'll try roughing up the screen tomorrow.

I'm having the display tank drilled tomorrow, then once I have sprayed the back black, I can silicone in the overflow box, finish all of the plumbing, and get it ready for a water test (in a day or two). If all goes to plan I will have the saltwater in the tank in a week or so.

And here is the setback... When drilling the tank, the glass shop broke the glass claiming it must have been tempered glass.

I thought that the All-Glass aquariums (55G in this case) only had tempered glass on the bottom? Are the newer models made of all tempered glass?

So now I need to source another 55G tank, preferably used as I hadn't budgeted for two tanks!

Ah man,,that stinks..I'm pretty sure only the bottom is tempered ...Did you see the tank.They would know if it was tempered or not .A tempered piece of glass will shatter into tiny bits of glass,,normal glass will just crack and break into big chunks ..

Back
Top Bottom