55g FOWLR - new tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AND, Mr. Lfs employee recommended a foxface, which I hadn't even considered. I think it would be great - any opinions?

A foxface lo would probably be ok...but for a 'with caution' fish I wouldn't do it similar to the dwarf angels.
For the anthias, it would depend on which one. Some require huge tanks, others would do in a 55.

Didn't know the foxface was risky, but for now there's not going to be much coral so I'll leave it as a possibility.

They have dispar anthias for $40 - min tank size listed as a 70g on LA

I would skip it. 12hrs driving with the fish in bag.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They actually all made it, except the canary blenny who appeared to have developed swim bladder disease. It's actually turned out to be 21 hours in the bag! Speaks to the good lfs practices at this place

Wanted to showoff this baby sailfin I'm holding for a friend. 2.5 inches, seems like a model citizen, at least in my sparsely stocked 55.

Lol when I first received him I thought that raised line was HLLE (phew!)

Man I wish they stayed this small :p

He has I think a 220, but even with that much space they get way over a foot long, so I can't imagine that would suffice for such a fish's entire "natural" life.

Yep, that's what LA lists, but after watching some full grown tangs on a diving trip to Puerto Rico, and coincidentally at the shedd aquarium, it seems almost cruel to keep such magnificent (and gigantic :p) fish in aquariums less than a few thousand gallons. I just looked up the sailfin by the latin name and found out they can live up to 30 years on the Great Barrier Reef. Seems like tangs fit into a different size, range, and life expectancy class than most aquarium fish - even the large ones in our hobby such as groupers and snappers don't have nearly the natural (day to day) range and speed. /endrant :)

Well that is true since they are true open water swimmers. Hence why the 6ft of tank is always so recommended as a general rule and many simply don't understand why even a small tang the size of a quarter can be upset by being in a 40 breeder.

It's definitely sad to see tangs kept "happily" in smaller tanks - I've seen a few in 20s, 10s online. Still seems like for the adult size and range of a sailfin, there are very few hobbyist's aquariums that can provide adequate space.

Just makes me want to get this guy out of the hypo treatment and into the big tank!

I have two dream tanks:
- 600 gallon sps reef, with a giant clam.
- and a tank large enough to hold a full grown sailfin tang, if such a monster exists :)

The 70-75 recommendations...just break it down. What is a 75 standard tank? A slightly wider 55. That'd be a fine addition IMO.

you have that backwards.
if the footprint of the tank is larger; IE: "being a little wider" than it is a significant difference as the surface area is greater.

If they have the same footprint but the height is different, than they are essentially the same as you "break it down".

the width & length are always the determining factors in how much livestock a tank can support, not the height. ;)

you have that backwards.
if the footprint of the tank is larger; IE: "being a little wider" than it is a significant difference as the surface area is greater.

If they have the same footprint but the height is different, than they are essentially the same as you "break it down".

the width & length are always the determining factors in how much livestock a tank can support, not the height. ;)

I really wouldn't state that width and length are always the determining factor. Swimming levels and fish height are both important factors as well so height is also important. As well height plays a role in total water volume which could be important in bioload control

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Picked up a red monti today in Saint Louis, 8" colony with another 3" plate that broke off. $20

Sorry for the dirty glass :p

Wow, what a deal. Good job

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom