55g FOWLR - new tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, I was happy with it - the place is gateway aquatics, and I recommend it if you get the chance. The staff are very helpful and there's a half off sale on some coral. And purple fire fish are only $20

Where is that?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I really want to go back for the fire fish now lol. Also the monti is looking good with polyp extension, and I'm sad to say my foster sailfin is going to come out of quarantine and away from my tank soon.

On a serious note, anyone experienced with skimmer maintenance? Mine is recently overskimming more and more, requiring constant random adjusting of the Venturi valve.

The protein skimmer is working again, after cleaning it out with a vinegar solution. Also my purple pseudochromis has been missing for the last 4 days, and I haven't seen him at night either. I tried garlic with mysis to lure him out, but no luck so far.

Thanks Mac! :) This place in Saint Louis had around 15 of those colonies for $20... On the flip side there may not be any montipora in the oceans now lol.

FTS time:

Just got a bunch of free corals from a nice friend of mine :) traded him a single skunk cleaner.

- 5 heads neon frogspawn colony
- green leather (looks similar to toadstool)
- a ton of GSP

I know about the dangers of GSP but for now it's isolated. Hoping it takes to the tank wall...

ALSO, on the topic of updates I'm adding a saddleback puffer. I traded the shrimp for this purpose, and my giant turbo snails are about the same size as the puffer. And this puffer had been living in a reef tank already with no interest in corals.

Pics later!

I have two dream tanks:
- 600 gallon sps reef, with a giant clam.
- and a tank large enough to hold a full grown sailfin tang, if such a monster exists :)

Always good to have a goal to work towards! Why stop at 600 gallons? Ha!

Nice looking tank. I love my fire fish, I have the red but the purple are beautiful. You could get a pair in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Always good to have a goal to work towards! Why stop at 600 gallons? Ha!

Nice looking tank. I love my fire fish, I have the red but the purple are beautiful. You could get a pair in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Sand - if it was any larger I'd need diving equipment :p

Just added the valentini, but I still want to keep some firefish. Have any info on them being territorial? I have the scissortail which is pretty similar in appearance.

Thanks Sand - if it was any larger I'd need diving equipment :p

Just added the valentini, but I still want to keep some firefish. Have any info on them being territorial? I have the scissortail which is pretty similar in appearance.

Haha, can you imagine to have to "suit up" every time you bought a frag and had to go in to glue to a rock? Could be fun though.

From everything I've read and heard, firefish are peaceful towards other fish. You can't do 2 males though and there is no real way to tell them apart, maybe the LFS could help find a mated pair. Mine has it's cave picked out and I could see it chasing away a fish maybe if they tried to come in but I don't think it would be aggressive out swimming in the tank or bully another fish out of their established cave if they were already in the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Haha, can you imagine to have to "suit up" every time you bought a frag and had to go in to glue to a rock? Could be fun though.

From everything I've read and heard, firefish are peaceful towards other fish. You can't do 2 males though and there is no real way to tell them apart, maybe the LFS could help find a mated pair. Mine has it's cave picked out and I could see it chasing away a fish maybe if they tried to come in but I don't think it would be aggressive out swimming in the tank or bully another fish out of their established cave if they were already in the tank.

No kidding... There is this one guy who has a dive-in reef, it's crazy. I forget the the name of the owner though.

Thanks for the info - I had to choose between a purple firefish today and a golden maroon clownfish. Since I want to eventually have a mated pair of firefish, I chose the clown. Still acclimating...

So the maroon is weirdly staying at or near the surface constantly, barely ate anything when I fed the fish in the morning. Not breathing extra heavily, there's surface agitation, and there's nothing wrong with water quality. I've heard clowns can be weird like this but some confirmation would be appreciated.

ALSO, there was this senior prank at my high school where two girls brought at least 50 individually bagged Live "feeder" goldfish and left them in people's lockers and in classrooms. Wanted to share the story, I can't believe how dumb of a move it was. Lots of people in my small-ish (300) school got them. Half the people thought it was cute, and half the people thought it was funny. No one saw the harm in putting the living creatures through twelve hours of slow death, just because some kids going off to college thought it was funny. None of them lived - I even offered to take some home and maybe save a few in an emergency quarantine. The one was dead by the time I could get home, due to the coldness.

Soooo added some sps yesterday:

3 inch frag of bonsai acro, looking rough but saveable for $10

Green/purple polyp plating monti

Green digitata

Orange mille

"Very rare" blue deep water acro. Kinda green from poor lights.

Large purple acro colony, pretty burned from lights, $10 and I'd say it'll recover.

Brownish orange pavona

Lights are down, acclimating slowly for the ones in subpar condition.

I've been pretty busy lately but wanted to share info on this next tank. Super excited,,, just picked up an empty drilled 120 long AGA, 20g setup fowlr, tons of equipment/food/chemicals, massive return pump, two fish, a shrimp, stands for both tanks, and an overflow/plumbing kit for the 120... all for $100. And the seller lives 5 minutes away.

They're moving soon, and just need to get rid of everything fish related, and all of it is in perfect condition.

There'll be a build thread up soon, as this is going to be an in-wall reef with the 55 as my sump, and the 20g as a hospital/qt.

Back
Top Bottom