55Gal predator tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay. I'll probably just go with a white sand then. Idk exactly what it's called but I'll use what my lfs uses in all their tanks. I thinks its called number1 or something? I have it in my 90 gallon. I can just have a thin layer right? Like 1/2-1 inch?

You could go bare bottom if you want but if you are gonna add sand I would go with atleast an inch to avoid glass from showing thru from sand drifts

Okay. So just enough to ensure it's gonna cover the bottom :) I just wanted black to make a contrast but I'll just do a dark background or maybe paint the back black to give it that contrast. :)

Could I have a lobster with this tank?!?! :D Or would it get eaten? :/

I would say, yes if you got your fish all small, but later on the lobster might just end up being an expensive snack! This is the reason I must have two tanks! I love my Aggressive fish, but I am a sucker for my inverts!!!!! Lol

Haha well im not sure I wanna take that risk ;) even though I plan on getting my fish as small as possible.

Should I paint my tank or just get a dark background? And I can use any paint as long is it's outside the tank right?

I think tomorrow I'll be putting saltwater in my tank then Saturday or Sunday I should be adding sand and rock :)

So when I get my tank all set up and the cycles over... Could I add a small damsel or chromis or 2 or something while I'm waiting for my Fu Manchu lionfish to get in?

The Fu Manchu should hunt him down and eat him when he gets hungry right?

Yep but honestly I would just fishless cycle it then if thats the plan.

Yes I plan to fishless cycle. But after the cycles over it'll probably take my lfs a couple weeks to get my lionfish. And ive always wanted a damsel but never wanted to keep one long term cause their butt heads.

So I figured this is a double win :) plus gives my lionfish some food when he gets to his new home.

Will the Lionfish kill and eat the chromis no matter what size the lion is? The damsel I'd get would be about an inch long probably.

So.... Right now I plan on using some stock lighting. Simple fluorescent bulbs to view my fish. Is there better lights I can put in the same fixture? Or should I get better lights? Will the lighting effect the way the fish look?

So.... Right now I plan on using some stock lighting. Simple fluorescent bulbs to view my fish. Is there better lights I can put in the same fixture? Or should I get better lights? Will the lighting effect the way the fish look?

Lighting can affect the way your fish look, but it's all about preference. I would go with a 4-bulb fixture with 2 daylights 1 actinic and 1 Fiji purple bulb. Looks really nice. You can search on google 'good lighting fixtures' and see what strikes your fancy.

Hope I help bro. I can't wait till you get fish in this tank. Apart from the damsels or chromis, what fish are you planning on adding first?

Haha is there any bulbs to put in place of these stock flourecents? Haha I wanna be cheap :p use stuff I already have :p maybe I'll get just some led strips for lighting. Haha. Cause they dont need to be strong, just make everything look good. :)

I believe I'm doing lionfish, puffer, eel, hawk

But I'll need to figure out my whole lid and lighting situation before I get the eel because I've heard they're escape artists. Idk how much truth is in that or not :p I just know I'll need at least something that actually covers the whole aquarium.

I would spray paint the back while its empty. It's quick and easy. Two coats should do it.

Okay sweet :) I'll be doing that soon :) I'm excited to get this going! Im picturing it looking awesome!

Elude82 said:
I built it to be at my desired height. Instead of the standard store bought 30-32in., I built it to an awesome height of 42in.!!!! It's nice not having to squat down to see my tank! An I believe the I spent less than $20 for the framework. The whole thing is made of 2x4's. it's way over built, but I never have to worry! Lol

I also built mine with 2x4's and it worked great!

image-3515145202.jpg

I added some metal brackets just for extra precaution but didn't need it. The hardest part was the trim but that was for aesthetic reasons. It's a lot cheaper to build it and you will have a much better stand!

Yeah I'm proud of mine :) and if I ever put it out where everyone will see it I'll slap some ply wood down and make it all pretty :) right now I'm painting the back of the aquarium and then I'm gonna fill it :)

How much would it cost to throw together some DIY LED lights? They wouldn't have to be strong cause no coral. Just some LED's that would make the fish's colors stand out.

I bought a LED strip from TrueLumens. They come in all different sizes. Wouldn't hurt to look. I end up getting a 48in, 12,000K, with 50,000 hours lifetime. For about $200. The lights are Amazing, makes the colors of the fish pop out. I put it on my Aggressive tank.

Hmmm.... I'm getting a couple led's for my reef that I might also try on my predator but for now I got a cheap flourecent light from my lfs.

Today I also got a skimmer!!!

and have been letting saltwater mix and get to temp in my tank. Hopefully when I get home I can add the sand then tomorrow I can add the rock and begin cycling :D

Back
Top Bottom