55Gal predator tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay. cause this is the one fish that my lfs has warned me about for being that poisoness. And he said they were highly poisoness. Idk if I wanna risk stickin my hand in there all the time in a tank that small.

Haha. But I might consider it if all I need to make my tank suitable is a few more bags of sand so it can burry itself.

Would a lion, puffer, eel, and scorpion fish make a good combo that isn't too packed in a 55? That sounds like a nice predator combo to me. Haha

Would a lion, puffer, eel, and scorpion fish make a good combo that isn't too packed in a 55? That sounds like a nice predator combo to me. Haha

sounds pretty good to me. The puffer is the only fish that's really active, so as long as you have a good method of waste removal you should be good.

imo once they are full grown that will be a little overstocked, a 75 would be perfect just cause how narrow the 55s are. its definitely doable though in a 55 dont get me wrong like i said i just dont like the narrowness of the tank.

Okay. Sounds good. I wanna upgrade sometime. Idk how long it'll take though. I have a skimmer and will do water changes whenever needed.

Does anyone know how deep of a sand bed ill need? I think those 4 fish will make exactly what I'm looking for :)

Also does anyone know where I can find a profile for the stingfish?

Hmmmm... My lfs/friend won't let me get it haha. He said it needs a 3" sand bed and its deadly venomous. So now I'm looking for another fish like that stingfish to replace its spot.

I thought about that but they don't stay small. And I heard they will try to eat the puffer and choke and ill have 2 dead fish.

..... I'm really going out on a limb here and have no idea I this will work... But could I do zebra lionfish, fu Manchu lionfish, Papuan puffer, and snowflake eel?

I might get the angler and hope everything goes smoothly.

Option1:zebra lion, Papuan puffer, snowflake eel, angler.

Option2:zebra lion, Papuan puffer, snowflake eel, fu Manchu lion.

I want votes!!! Please pick one! :)

I might get the angler and hope everything goes smoothly.

Option1:zebra lion, Papuan puffer, snowflake eel, angler.

Option2:zebra lion, Papuan puffer, snowflake eel, fu Manchu lion.

I want votes!!! Please pick one! :)

I vote number 2, as long as lions will get along. :) Not an angler fan, they're just creepy. :) Maybe it's a guy thing.

IMO: as far as I know the orange banded stingfish, would be ok with any of the tank mates you have in mind. It's suitable for a 55gallon, and a 3 inch sand bed would suffice. It's not a large fish at all. It will be interesting seeing it hide in the sand. The eyes will be the only thing you will see while hiding. It also crawls across the sand, hence the claw like fins. It is a very carnivorous fish! It's sting is not fatal, but is painful! Stonefish are deadly though! With the options you have given: I'd go with what you want. Make a list of all desired fish, put them in stocking order as if you were getting them all, I will help with that if needed. You would be amazed at what fish actually get along in an aggressive tank!!!!! I have a heck of an aggressive tank as you remember. Yes, lionfish are very compatible with one another. Rule of thumb with big mouth fish, just make sure no tankmates can fit! Lol also, my fu Manchu is not the least bit shy! He is all over the tank!!!! The first week he was hiding in the rocks, but became adventurous quickly! And he is very hardy! I apologize for the long reply, but want to make sure you are happy with your tank in the end. When creating my stocking list I kept two thing in mind: compatibility and activity. The sting fish will do a great job stirring the sand and occupying the bottom of the tank. The eel will be great at giving the rocks attention and dwelling in its territory. The bigger lion will be your swimmer, occupying all the water space. A fu Manchu will be an all around great fish! Swimming, perching, just hanging where it wants. A Hawkfish will be your comic of the tank! Perching and being its investigative self! Another thing, don't worry about any of the fish being hard to feed. At first I was worried about the fu Manchu not taking frozen, but its amazing watching his instincts kick in. I hand feed mine live food straight from my hand! I was scared at first, but now enjoy it!!! And in case you didn't know it: the fu Manchu isn't actually a lion, its a scorpionfish! Shhh... Not everyone knows that! Lol

Okay well if I list everything I want (that will work in a 55) I want:

Zebra lionfish
Fu Manchu lionfish
Papuan puffer
Snowflake eel
Wart skin angler
Long nosed hawk

That's my dream 55 gallon stock but I'm 99% sure that's too much bioload on my 55 :/

I decided against the sting fish. Also thanks for the long post. I don't mind them. Especially if they're helpful.

What do you think of that stock list? Help me tear it down and make it do able please? :) you've helped me sooo much so far!

Two questions: are they all going to be juvenile fish? And, are you going to upgrade tank size in the future? I think the list is pretty awesome, and well thought out fish!

I also like how they are all a different family of fish, since the fu Manchu is actually a scorpionfish.

Well thank you :) I like all these fish for a predator tank :)

I will buy them all as juveniles but we all know they won't stay like that.

i plan to upgrade but idk when or how big. At least 75 gallons probably bigger so I can add a couple more mean fish. But that probably won't be for a couple more years.

So after my ammonia hit 0 I posted a pic of my parameters and dosed my ammonia up to 4-8 I just checked it 48 hours later and my ammonia is at .25 now should I dose it back up to 4? And just repeat this over and over until after 24 hours after dosing there is no ammonia or nitrite?

So after my ammonia hit 0 I posted a pic of my parameters and dosed my ammonia up to 4-8 I just checked it 48 hours later and my ammonia is at .25 now should I dose it back up to 4? And just repeat this over and over until after 24 hours after dosing there is no ammonia or nitrite?

That's pretty much the plan. Just keep adding An ammonia source daily till they're both zero after 24h. Especially with it being a predator tank, you're gonna need plenty of BB cuz I hear they're messy eaters and make a lot of waste.

Yeah I've heard that too but don't really see it when feeding the predators at work haha. They swallow all the fish whole. Almost every predator. But yes I will get a nice strong BB before adding my first fish... I still don't know what my first fish will be.....

Back
Top Bottom