55Gal predator tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wanna see the tank Iv been following in the shadows and watchimg this thread

I think I have a pic up. But I'll post one when I get home in like 4 hours

Tank as of right now. I will probably rescape before adding fish... Maybe not... Haven't decided yet haha.

Attachments

• image-1237974458.jpg
    image-1237974458.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 119
thats a sweet looking set up you have their mate

Why thank you :) I'm still totally stuck on stock list. :( what I really wanna put in there is a wartskin angler, snowflake eel, a dwarf lion, a fu Manchu, a puffer, and a hawkfish.

Now my problems are... This is over stocked. And as far as puffers go. I really want a porcupine puffer. But guess I could settle with a pupuan puffer. Also are these all compatible?

Solutions: I have a decent skimmer (sea clone 150). Soon I plan to upgrade to a 75 and use this 55 as a sump. Later (possibly years) I want to upgrade to a 200+ gallon tank. And lfs told me they would take the grown porcupine puffers from me and get me small ones.

My whole thing is I want fish that have great personality and who notice me and are intrested in me and what's going on around them. I have my pretty tank (reef), now I want a tank full of personality.

Any ideas, tips, suggestions, opinions ect that could help me out would be awesome! But please don't comment if your just gonna tell me it won't work and don't have any helpful advice.

Man my stock list keeps changing and I just need a 200 gallon tank! I want a porcupine puffer now and my lfs is encouraging me to get it and bring it back when it outgrows my tank then get another small one :p anyone see any reason why not to?

Would you really be able to turn him into the LFS when he gets bigger? I hear that they have personalities similar to dogs. Once you get to love him and get attached, will you be able to just give him away? If yes, then get him. I wouldn't be able to do it. I can't even bring myself to trap and get rid of the ruby crab that I don't even like!!! Lol. :)

If u have a good skimmer you can always dose vodka to your aquarium to help u maintain ur
Nitrate levels

My friend did the vodka method and ended up having a cyano outbreak. Make sure you research it before you do it. You can buy other things to remove nitrates that are easier and will have less potential to cause you any issues.

Would you really be able to turn him into the LFS when he gets bigger? I hear that they have personalities similar to dogs. Once you get to love him and get attached, will you be able to just give him away? If yes, then get him. I wouldn't be able to do it. I can't even bring myself to trap and get rid of the ruby crab that I don't even like!!! Lol. :)

I know it would be hard. But I think I could do it as long as its going to a good home. How fast do they grow? And how big can I keep him? Hopefully ill only have to trade out once and by that time ill have a big enough tank. Because I'm sure ill get attached.

But would those fish be compatible? And too overstocked to even try as juveniles and then upgrade while they're growing?

Hey Brother!!! I apologize for my absence, been busy at work. I was thinking the same thing as Beengirl. I wouldn't be able to get rid of any of my fish either. I dislike my Scopas Tang, but could never think of getting rid of him. And as for my predator tank, getting rid of my little guys will never be an option. Especially for the ones with high personality levels. The porcupine puffer is going to recognize you. With those big puppy dog eyes, you won't be able to. Fish live for a long time. It would be like getting rid of your puppy as soon as they reach adult size. One thing I am learning as time passes with my aggressive tank, compatibility is a lot up to you. Their are guidelines, but nothing set in stone. Just keep in mind, when stocking, try and wait a few days to a week, when introducing tank mates. You know my stock list in my tank, so I will definitely be able to help you, I have almost everything you want, minus the eel and angler. The only reason I don't have my Zebra is I need to build a canopy first. As soon as that is built he will be added. For the future size of your tank, don't worry, you can pick up some great deals on Craigslist. And as a fact....you will upgrade sizes, we all do!!!! Lol pm me if you need anything!

Okay would I be able to add a Papuan puffer now and when I upgrade also get a porcupine puffer?

Soooo.... I dose ammonia every 24 hours up to 4 cause in 24 hours it goes to 0. nitrites are still at like 5 and nitrates are till raising... I continue to dose ammonia every 24 hours right? Or am I supposed to stop dosing ammonia to get the nitrites to drop?

The way I understand it I should keep dosing ammonia every 24 hours till the ammonia and nitrite are at 0....?

Soooo.... I dose ammonia every 24 hours up to 4 cause in 24 hours it goes to 0. nitrites are still at like 5 and nitrates are till raising... I continue to dose ammonia every 24 hours right? Or am I supposed to stop dosing ammonia to get the nitrites to drop?

The way I understand it I should keep dosing ammonia every 24 hours till the ammonia and nitrite are at 0....?

I'd maybe skip a day and let the nitrites fall a little more.

So just skip a day of adding ammonia? Should I just stop for a couple days? I've made sure to dose ammonia every time it hit 0 sense I started.

So just skip a day of adding ammonia? Should I just stop for a couple days? I've made sure to dose ammonia every time it hit 0 sense I started.

The bacteria that consume ammonia would be okay if you skipped a day or two. I remember hearing if the nitrites get too high it could stall the cycle. I am by no means an expert, but I personally would give it a day or 2 for the trites to come down.

So I think I'm just gonna stop dosing ammonia till my nitrites go to 0. Then ill dose ammonia up to 4 and see what happens 24 hours later. Sound like a good plan?

After doing a bunch of reading, tomorrow I'm gonna do a 50% WC and try to get my nitrites to a readable level. Then ill wait 24 hours and make sure they go down a bit. Then ill add a little ammonia and wait another couple days and see where we're at. I really hope this works because I'm ready to start this awesome tank and I'm super impatient!!! :(

*Edit*- actually I'm gonna wait 24 hours first to see if nitrites drop noticeably by themselves by me just skipping a day of adding ammonia.

After doing a bunch of reading, tomorrow I'm gonna do a 50% WC and try to get my nitrites to a readable level. Then ill wait 24 hours and make sure they go down a bit. Then ill add a little ammonia and wait another couple days and see where we're at. I really hope this works because I'm ready to start this awesome tank and I'm super impatient!!! :(

*Edit*- actually I'm gonna wait 24 hours first to see if nitrites drop noticeably by themselves by me just skipping a day of adding ammonia.

Good luck. The waiting game sucks, especially during the cycle because there's not much else to work on. Don't feel too bad, mines just begun. Good luck

Sounds like a good plan!

Back
Top Bottom