55Gal predator tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khij159753

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone! I've been thinking Alot about it and have decided to make my 55 gal a FOWLR predator tank.

I plan to stock it with:
Hawk fish (not sure which yet)
Valentini puffer
Snowflake eel
Fu Manchu lionfish

However before I even get the tank cycling I'm gonna be building my own stand for the tank. So if anyone has any plans or blueprints or anything that could help me build a stand that'd be great!

Any opinions, comments, questions, ideas, Ect. Are very appreciated! Thanks!
-Joe

Here! I have pics from the stand I built, the frame at least, still in progress. And I think that is a great selection you chose!!! Lol

I built it to be at my desired height. Instead of the standard store bought 30-32in., I built it to an awesome height of 42in.!!!! It's nice not having to squat down to see my tank! An I believe the I spent less than $20 for the framework. The whole thing is made of 2x4's. it's way over built, but I never have to worry! Lol

image-272590367.jpg

Attachments

• image-920219675.jpg
    image-920219675.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 330
  • image-4194477402.jpg
    image-4194477402.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 366
  • image-3820413093.jpg
    image-3820413093.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 322
  • image-3674338690.jpg
    image-3674338690.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 339
  • image-332883752.jpg
    image-332883752.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 358
So you just built the whole thing out of 2x4 then covered it with some plywood? That's what I wanna do :) I was hoping I could build it with close to 20$ no more than 40$ though.

Just build the frame, and paint it whatever color. I really liked it before I put the plywood on. But my future intentions are to find some really old reclaimed Driftwood, have someone mill it, and have an old rustic looking stand. Remember after you build the frame you have time to add on to it in the future.

Okay. I'll probably just leave it 2x4 haha. Cheaper that way. Plus it's gonna be in my room in a place where no one will be able to really see the stand anyway. Haha

So can I make the stand a little bigger than the tank? Or should it be exact so the tank sits exactly on the stand with no over hang?

So can I make the stand a little bigger than the tank? Or should it be exact so the tank sits exactly on the stand with no over hang?

you can build the stand so it has overhang, as long as it is equal on each side. e.g. tank dimensions: 48"x12.5"x20"
Stand dimensions could be: 50"or 46"x 13.5"or 11.5"

I'm pretty sure that you can do that, but clarify with someone else just in case.

Also with the stocking:

IMO I would have a blood red hawkfish or flame hawkfish
Valentini or any toby puffer would be suitable.
Snowflake eel should be fine
Fu Man Chu lion is fine aswell

Hope you have a successful tank and be sure to keep us posted :)

:thanks:

Yeah. I'm thinking the blood red hawk but also kinda like the flame :) and thanks! I'm very excited about the build :) any idea what kind of CUC I could have? I want a long spined urchin and I need to feed the puffer snails to keep it's teeth warn down right?

you can feed the puffer prawns or shrimp whatever you know it as, with the shell still on as a cheaper alternative. Honestly with a snowflake eel you can't have much of a CUC, unless you are willing to replace the hawk with a sand sifting goby like a gold head sleeper goby. On my 75gal I'm going to introduce a bi colour goatfish as my CUC. Pretty sure you can put one in a 55 but I'm not really 100% sure since they grow to a big size of 10"; BTW Joe, I took your advice and introduced a foxface to my 75. You were right, they are amazing!

Foxface

you can feed the puffer prawns or shrimp whatever you know it as, with the shell still on as a cheaper alternative. Honestly with a snowflake eel you can't have much of a CUC, unless you are willing to replace the hawk with a sand sifting goby like a gold head sleeper goby. On my 75gal I'm going to introduce a bi colour goatfish as my CUC. Pretty sure you can put one in a 55 but I'm not really 100% sure since they grow to a big size of 10"; BTW Joe, I took your advice and introduced a foxface to my 75. You were right, they are amazing!

I also just love how they change colours at night

Haha :) good :) yeah as CUC go's I was gonna do a long spined urchin and try some big turbo snails. would a sea hare work? Or a starfish?

Where could I get shrimp with shells still on them?

How many small nassarious snails would I have to feed my puffer to keep his teeth ground down? Will he find them and eat them if I just leave them in the tank? Or do I really need to feed them to him?

This will be my first aggressive tank so I'll have lots of how much of what to feed later on :)

Haha :) good :) yeah as CUC go's I was gonna do a long spined urchin and try some big turbo snails. would a sea hare work? Or a starfish?

Where could I get shrimp with shells still on them?

How many small nassarious snails would I have to feed my puffer to keep his teeth ground down? Will he find them and eat them if I just leave them in the tank? Or do I really need to feed them to him?

This will be my first aggressive tank so I'll have lots of how much of what to feed later on :)

that CUC seems adequate, but remember there is always a risk with a snowflake eel.

You can go to a fish market and they should sell shrimp with shells still on them.

I'm not really familiar with how much snails to feed the puffer, sorry.

If you chose to feed prawns with the shell still on, be sure to remove the head.IMO I would feed as much as he would eat within around 2min twice a day. If it seems he is gaining a lot of weight on that cut it down, if he is becoming quite thin, feed more. It's just one of those things that vary from fish to fish.:)

For the valentini I would do clams in the half shell. Your LFS should sell them,or you can get them at a grocery store. Prawns and shrimps don't do much for filing down there beaks. Don't worry about the feeding part. I will send you a pm, with my 7 day a week feeding routine. ex. My Monday would be, keep in mind this is not to the exact fish you will have but to what I have: Monday: LIVE ghost/ saltwater shrimp( depends on availability), clams, Krill, and silvers. Tuesday: live feeder fish, flake, brine, etc. Wednesday: etc. so you get my drift. I know you wanted the whole LIVE food experience. And that is t my actual routine, just an example off the too of my head.

Okay :) awesome. Thanks! I was thinking about snails for filing down their teeth. But grocery stores sell clams in half shells? I'll check my lfs next time I go in. How do I feed puffers clams in half shells?

Awesome :) I'm so excited to start this tank :) I'm buying the lumber and building the stand today :) I totally stole your stands designs haha. So we'll see how mine turns out :) wish me luck! I'll post pics when it's done :)

You ever think or heard about these puffers? In lighting there spots are amazing!!!!

image-3342532303.jpg

Attachments

• image-946658266.jpg
    image-946658266.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 160
Both are rated for your size tank. Just wanted to throw them out there.

Back
Top Bottom