Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-13-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
So I just introduced my wrasse into my tank about 8 oclock and it immediately hid and won't come out is this normal? He's in a tank with 2 caramel clowns and a candy hogfish, do I have incompatible stock?
__________________

__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
manbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 916
I'm not sure about the stock but when I added my wrasse he spent about 2 days under the sand which I've heard is pretty normal, that's also where he goes to sleep and doesn't come out until 9:30-10 am
__________________

__________________
manbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
So I just introduced my wrasse into my tank about 8 oclock and it immediately hid and won't come out is this normal? He's in a tank with 2 caramel clowns and a candy hogfish, do I have incompatible stock?
btw guys, its a 36g bow front, with about 45lbs of live pukani rock, 40 lbs of reef grade live sand (2" bed) and 10hrs of dual t5ho lighting on a timer, clowns were intro'd first, then the candy hog last week, now the 6-line wrasse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbeast View Post
I'm not sure about the stock but when I added my wrasse he spent about 2 days under the sand which I've heard is pretty normal, that's also where he goes to sleep and doesn't come out until 9:30-10 am
Was it a 6-line as well?
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
baron1282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 926
When I did a tank change over my Six Line Wrasse hid in the rock work for a while. I was worried! He started ended up showing up after about a day and half.

Unfortunately mine Jumped and killed himself a few months after I moved him to a bigger tank. :-/
__________________
Fish Sticks, the best thing you can do with your dead fish.
baron1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
When I did a tank change over my Six Line Wrasse hid in the rock work for a while. I was worried! He started ended up showing up after about a day and half.

Unfortunately mine Jumped and killed himself a few months after I moved him to a bigger tank. :-/
im just as worried, i couldnt find him so i got down on my hands and knees and started looking under the stand, behind it, under the couch etc, then i found him in the live rock, he looked almost like someone wedged him in there, he was in a tiny little space, and hes been there, i can see his eye moving and hes breathing so i guess all i can do is wait
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
baron1282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 926
your Wrasse will wedge himself into the tightest of places. You will be surprised! The other cool thing is when they sleep they will build a mucus cocoon over themselves as a protective measure. They feel safe when they are wedged into tight places.

You inadvertently scared him, so he might not come out for a few days. :-p
__________________
Fish Sticks, the best thing you can do with your dead fish.
baron1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Big Tex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mcallen, Tx
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron1282 View Post
your Wrasse will wedge himself into the tightest of places. You will be surprised! The other cool thing is when they sleep they will build a mucus cocoon over themselves as a protective measure. They feel safe when they are wedged into tight places.

You inadvertently scared him, so he might not come out for a few days. :-p
lmao yeah i might have i have a 500 lumen maglite led torch i was using to look into the nooks and crannies of the rock lol but ill give it some time, i thought my candy hog was being an a$$ buti guess hell just come out when hes ready
__________________
Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
manbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post

btw guys, its a 36g bow front, with about 45lbs of live pukani rock, 40 lbs of reef grade live sand (2" bed) and 10hrs of dual t5ho lighting on a timer, clowns were intro'd first, then the candy hog last week, now the 6-line wrasse.

Was it a 6-line as well?
No it's a yellow coris wrasse, but their behavior is similar
__________________
manbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
navaljonf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 419
Seems like normal behavior to me. Make sure you have a top on your tank as he will jump.
__________________
navaljonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
baron1282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 926
I was told that Six Line Wrasses Don't Jump! Mine did. :-(
__________________

__________________
Fish Sticks, the best thing you can do with your dead fish.
baron1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.